Opening Account - Poor Credit history

M

MoneyMaker

Hi,

I just tried to open a bank account only to be turned down "due to failing a credit check".

I was attempting to open a normal current account and was not seeking an overdraft or any other loan facilities.

Has anyone any experience of managing to open an account with a poor credit history?

BTW when I say poor I mean having a couple of credit cards that I am paying off having had the accounts closed inc HFX and having restructured a car loan.

thanks for any advice.

The trouble is even though you were not looking for an overdraft etc the facility is there on them to apply so they are credit checked. Ulster used to do a type of current account that had card and you could do direct debits but just had no access to overdraft, can't remember what they called it, they might still have this facility.

Which bank was it?

It was Ulster Bank... gonna try the others but not holding out much hope...

Anyone know if you can open a current account in the north?

Would they have access to the ICB records too?

There are some banks or financial institutions that allow accounts to be opened despite poor credit history. It may result in a higher interest rate but still it is possible to open an account. Check the internet for information on such services.