Opening a current account

G

Gabi

Hi

Was wondering could someone help me please. I am currently trying to open a new current account. The bank i have chosen to go with have said they want to do a credit check before proceeding. Is this allowed? I have told them i only want a current account, no overdraft, no cheque book.
I dont have a bad credit history, just dont know why if im not looking for credit the can do this. Cannot seem to get to speak with anyone in ICB

Kind Regards

Gabi

Why would you want to speak to the ICB - they have nothing to do with the bank's decision to credit score or not.

Yes the bank can do this if they wish, it's their choice. It's your choice to not agree and take your business elsewhere also.

Which bank?

Does a debit card or a credit card come with the account?

Have you considered other banks if you are not happy with this?

Thanks for your replies. The reason i wanted to speak with the ICB was to find out can they do a credit check even though im not applying for credit, it was just a query.

Ciaran, there is no debit or credit card involved. Just an account to have my child benefit paid into and my bills paid from!!

Again thanks for you replies and help

Go to the customer service desk in any AIB branch and they will set it up for you. Just bring photo-ID and proof of address.

I opened a new AIB current a/c (with no overdraft requsted) a few months back & the standard application form stated that you gave consent to them to check your credit history.

See here:

[broken link removed]

(Third bullet point under Data Protection Notice - Use of Information)