Opening a bank account for the first time

Redshoes

I'm returning to Ireland after having been abroad for some time. I will need to open an Irish bank account. Is it just a matter of going in and handing over some money or transferring some money or is it more complicated? I live in Sweden at the moment and opening a bank account here was slightly complicated as I remember. I will be talking to the bank when I visit in April but I just thought I might be able to prepare myself a little with info. from this forum. Thanks.

Cashier

What do you mean by "In some instances a PPS number" I taught this was needed when opening all bank accounts

I don't ever remember giving my Irish bank my PPS number, are you sure Cashier?

But since they got so serious about money laundering it was much more difficult to open a new account even with my own bank. They're very strick on ID (Passport of ID card will do for that) and proof of address. For this I was able to use utility bills but Redshoes won't have that.

Redshoes where do you plan on living when first you arrive? Maybe it would be a good idea to use a relatives address and from there apply for the PPS number from Social welfare as a starting point. Then down to the driving licence section to get an Irish driving licence etc.

Yes it was discussed 0n an older thread here but if you think of it how can they deduct the tax if they dont have the PPS number? I think high earners pay the DIRT at the higher rate.

Any EU citizen is entitled to open an account in any EU state, a PPS is not required. Digging through the documentation, I found the sentence relating to the requirement for a PPS ends with: "or a bank may accept a copy of your birth certificate instead."

I have opened accounts in Ireland and I have no PPS.

Yes it was discussed 0n an older thread here but if you think of it how can they deduct the tax if they dont have the PPS number? I think high earners pay the DIRT at the higher rate.

I have no PPS and it never stopped them deducting DIRT from my accounts!!! The simply deducted it from the interested credited to the account and issue the certificate, if you choose to ignore it then you loose the tax deducted otherwise you claim it back.

Ok based on Jim and me (2 non residents who have Irish bank accounts) you don't need a PPS number. But applying for one is probably a good thing and the letter sending it out to the OP (Original Poster -redshoes) can probably be used as proof of address.

Another thing to clear up is there is only one rate of Dirt tax for everybody and it does not vary depending on your tax bracket.

For others on here - non residents don't have to pay Dirt, we have to fill out a form or tick a box when opening an account. I've always paid it as I reckon it absolves me from any further taxes and having to declare it etc. (very complicated)