Opening a bank a/c - bad credit

suki

Hi there,

I was made redundant ages ago, and settled on a couple of credit cards i had, and this was marked on my ICB.

Now i need to open a current account, just for lodgements and maybe a direct debit or two, not applying for credit of any sort. I tried to open one on ulster bank online and they said i failed the credit check.

I just want a current account, am i going to have problems with any bank now just for an account like this, is there anything i can do?

Mmm,
Heard banks were been tighter on current accs (especially during the Halifax exodus) though it theoratically shouldn't be a problem if you didn't apply for any credit facilities such as an overdraft.

Are you back to full time work with no more debts to pay off? If it's not good here then that might be part of the reason you were declined i.e. they don't view you as a potential valuable long term customer.

Check out the AAM best buys for current accounts. Don't worry about the problem too much until you exhausted all the options i.e. try BOI, AIB, NIB and PTSB.

It's a shame if you can't get UB as its one of the better current accounts from a fee perspective.

That said if it really does get desperate... perhaps you can get a "student" account? As far as I know the bulk of student accounts can function like current accounts minus a debit card (get atm card instead). Mature students aren't that rare in these times. ;)

Another passing thought is this you could open one of those crappy on demand savings fee free accounts (like .010% interest) from one of the big two (AIB or BOI). You should be able to make lodgements to these accounts just fine (do some research before hand online) though you'll have to withdraw the old fashioned way in bank.

For DDs can you handle these bills through the post office / bill pay?

Anyways jumping the gun here, try the main options first before going to improvisation.:)

Presumably you had a CA or some similar type of account previously? Who was it with, can you try them? Likely you will need to call in and discuss you needs rather than an online application which runs thro an automatic check.

Most banks have private spaces to discuss matters,so you may explain your needs in person. or you could try phoning the telebanking section of major banks, tho I think calling in, after perhaps making an appointment, is your best bet.

PS: You cannot open a student account unless you are a student. You would need a student card; attempting to do this would further dirty your bib, so don't try it.

Not sure about a bank account, but you can still get a Credit Card if your credit rating is not perfect.

My credit card company, Halifax closed down, leaving me in China with no credit card. I'm on a career break and no one would touch me, not even MBNA.

Might have been from here, but was turned to [broken link removed], it's a mastercard debit.

Back