Open deposit/savings account while abroad?

zzzz1234

Lads and lassies,

I just came into an inheritance (~€50k) and need an account (preferably interest yielding) into which I can stash the cash. The trick is that I'm US based but planning on coming home for good in a few years (5 years if all goes well) and I also want to start repatriating USD savings to this account also in regular monthly payments. Unfortunately I don't have a bank account in Ireland and it seems that I need to be a tax resident to open an account.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can open an account while abroad that will meet my needs?

Thanks for any ideas and advice!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideas how I can open an account while abroad that will meet my needs?

But you are not just abroad, you’re in the US and their FATCA law makes it almost impossible for European banks to offer US citizens, Green holders and close relatives of either, accounts without a lot of extra admission and costs. That plus the requirements to satisfy the MLA makes it a very big ask.

But you are not just abroad, you’re in the US and their FATCA law makes it almost impossible for European banks to offer US citizens, Green holders and close relatives of either, accounts without a lot of extra admission and costs. That plus the requirements to satisfy the MLA makes it a very big ask.

On top of which it might be hard enough to open a new savings account (especially an interest paying one) when one sees AIB and EBS not opening new term accounts.

Also no point in opening an account with Ulster if they are going to leave Ireland.

Back