Motor Open Car Insurance

Lyndan

Hi All

Looking for some advise please. My Dad has ordered a new car and isnt getting it till August in the meantime he has been offered a loaner from someone but he has to get his own insurance. It looks like to have an insurance policy on a car that isnt yours is impossible - does anyone know any way I can do this for him?

Alternatively I could change him to be the owner of my car, make him the policy holder on the insurance and then he would have 3rd party fire and theft on any other car he drives.

Let me know if you have any ideas

Thanks!

If he has a current policy, just do a temporary substitution from his existing car to the loaner. There is no need to have the loaner registered in his name if he does this.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Sorry wasn't reading that properly - the appearance of the sun must be getting to me
If the person that is loaning the car has the car insured they could put your dad on as a named driver for the rest of the year. If not he might have no choice but to transfer the car into his name and insure it. This would also facilitate him to tax the vehicle.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Most insurers ask for the Car to be in your name.. That you are the registered owner, only way to do this would be to register the car in your Dad's name or get the friend who is lending him the car to add him on as a named driver. If the person is around the same age as your Dad with Full Licence and no ppoints etc then it could work out pretty cheap.

Hope this helps
Emma Gollogly

Bringing car to France

We are shortly travelling to France (ferry, TG!) and I was wondering if it is standard with all car insurance to provide cover for a trip overseas with the car (less than 30 days). We recently changed insurance provider and there was no mention on the policy that the car was covered for foreign travel.

you automatically have TP cover (min cover) in all EU countries and a few others. If you have COMP or TPFT cover in Ireland, you may want to contact insurers. Some charge for extending the cover abroad, others do not.