opel - heater only blowing cold air ?

T

thewatcher

For a while the heater had only been heating at high speeds,now its not heating at all.Also cold air is coming out when vents and fan are turned off.

Any ideas please ?

What model and year? I have an astra and this was the first sign to me that the head gasket needed replacing. Not a mechanic though.

I thought the air heating was electric, how would the head gasket have anything to do with it?

I have the same problem (Air needs to be on "3" and full heat before it warms up).

I was planning to get the pollen filter taken out at the next service. Astra 99.

Ok I'm no mechanic but no the air heating is not electric. It is all part of the plumbing of the car. A combustion engine produces a huge amount of heat hence the need for the cooling system. Because there is so much extra heat it makes no sense for 'new' heat to be generated electricly. The heat actually comes from the heater core, a small radiator with a fan behind it. The heater core is heated with coolant from the cars cooling system. This system is seperate to but related to the main cooling system (ie the coolant is the same). Therefore no heat in your car is often a sign of serious problems. So get thee to a mechanic.

Back