Online Trading for US Citizens

KKeane

Just wondering if you know of any online trading platforms in Ireland that accept US citizens? I am am an Irish Citizen and tax resident. I have tried Degiro and Trading 212 but have been unable to set up an account because I also am a US citizen. I don’t see what the issue is when I am not liable to US tax but there does not seem to be a way around it.

Just wondering if you know of any online trading platforms in Ireland that accept US citizens? I am am an Irish Citizen and tax resident. I have tried Degiro and Trading 212 but have been unable to set up an account because I also am a US citizen. I don’t see what the issue is when I am not liable to US tax but there does not seem to be a way around it.

If you're a US citizen you are subject to US tax and should be filing tax returns. Whether you actually owe anything is irrelevant.

They don't want to take you on because they have reporting obligations for any US citizen which are pretty burdensome.

Have you tried US brokers. They might be willing to open an account

Davy & Goodbody both accept US citizens. There is additional compliance requirements and reporting, so it's not surprising that discount brokers don't want the hassle.

Back