Online Tradesmen search engine

gd2000

Anyone have any experience with
http://www.onlinetradesmen.com? I only heard about the website last night, but it seems pretty good.

You give a brief description of the job, the location, the dates and budget (optional) and you get back quotes from various approved tradesmen (approved by the National Guild). They don't get your contact details though, and you call whoever you feel best fits your needs.

They ask you to fill out a review once the job is done, and you can read others reviews of tradesmen before starting your job.

Seems like a brilliant resourse, but I was just wondering whether people had any experiences (good or bad) with it?

Tried it out a few months ago for quotes on different things. It looks good the only snag is that no-one and i mean nobody gets back to you with a quote. Well not for me so far. Maybe you would have better luck if you were in county dublin etc. try it no harm anyway.

I'm in Dublin and afraid I have to agree with Kildarebuild. I put up a couple of queries and received one back telling me they'd have to view the place to be able to give a quote (I wanted to price wooden floors and gave type of wood and footage as requested when filling in the quote). Other than that, I didn't get one reply. While it seems a good idea in theory you'd probably be better off just ringing a few registered companies in the Golden Pages.

Was interested to hear about previous experience with this site as I'm still waiting on a reply (over a week) but maybe now I'll not hold my breath!

Wow - that's frustrating. If it's that bad, then I reckon the National Guild (per JoeBallantin) is just as good a service. Quite annoying - the theory seems brilliant - esp the quotes and reviews of previous work...

Got a reply to say that they're received my "posting", but haven't heard anything back; it's been two weeks now.

Great site in theory, but like many, disappointing in reality.

Did use it successfully on a number of occasions - however some jobs did need a survey (building etc) - but I got multiple answers back. I had tried using the national guild db etc but the worry was that it took me loads of calls to work out that the same members were'nt available ! I guess there are is not exactly a surplus of qualified trades out there but I managed to get at least 3 from this service.

Tried it for a leaking roof in early December. No roofer responded with a quote. Agree with previous poster, great in theory but did not work in practice.

I tried the nationaguild site for a plumber and when I rang a few got no response. No point in having them listed if they are not even going to take a call or return it as this is all part of the service.

I have used www.homewise.ie a couple of times for quotes etc and have always got a response within 48hours. Went on to use a stonemason from the site and got a very professional service.

Used the site late November to source an Electrician to re-wire the house - got a good few quotes in return pretty much next day. We were very satisified with the contracter we settled on.
Will probably use the service again for a small extension we are planning this spring.

rgds