Online Share dealing

P

patchz

Hi,
I have recently joined an online stockbroker and have purchased a range of stock recently. It's a crest account holding not a nominee account. My transactions were confirmed by post, and also can be viewed online. However my question relates to what happens next if I retain my holding. Should I expect to receive correspondence from the individual companies where I hold the stock to inform me of AGMs / Divs etc? This would give me peace of mind?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Should I expect to receive correspondence from the individual companies where I hold the stock to inform me of AGMs / Divs etc?

Hi..yes is the answer. This is what i like about having shares in CREST. Your name appears directly on the share register. So even if your broker goes up in smoke it wont have any material bearing on you. Enjoy the bargain hunting!

Cheers, that what I thought, however I bought some of the stock as long as 4-5 weeks ago. Is this normal?

Not sure if it's normal, but in my experience this is not unusual. Why not contact the company's investor relations department? Some company's have online services, where you can check your name is registered.

i would say its normal enough. Some companies write to you with a welcome to the company. Others you will hear from when their interim-annual reports are sent out.

or nice big dividend cheques!

Can you name the institution thats offering this? (I thought all the irish online brokers only offered nominee)
ta

It's www.sharewatch.com, they are a Scottish broker but are registered in Ireland. Since I posted my query I checked out with the Registrar of the companies I bought stock with and all is cool for cats. I've only bought shares over the phone, was having problems with their online facility (difference was 0.3% commission online as opposed to 0.4% over the phone) and had much better commissions than Irish brokers. At least I own the shares if things go belly up with the broker.

Oilgeezer - I note that in all eight of your posts on Askaboutmoney, you recommend this UK website. Have you any connection with the site?