online share dealing - question about pricing

Petal

I am trying to educate myself about investments etc. One question I have, if for example I was to open an online share dealing account with my bank, AIB that is, on their pricing page are a number of charges, some of which I don't entirely understand. I gather that when I buy I have to pay commission and stamp duty (country dependant) and again I pay commission for selling. What I don't quite understand is, for example if I bought Irish stock, would the European charges apply also, and the ancilliary charges for transfering shares out (as in out of the account, when selling?) Sorry if these are stupid questions... but if I was to buy anything I would like to calculate how much it would cost me to buy and to sell so I'd know how much I'd have to make to begin with to break even!

Hi
I am a trader in Dublin. I would suggest the following...
No need to go with AIB. Chances are they will be alot more expensive for the kind of trading you have in mind. You could simply open an account with an online broker like etrade. You will pay commission on buying and selling. You will pay stamp duty. Very cost effective..If you need any more help, just shout

Hi thanks for this, will look into it, but if I was to open an account with AIB, the European charges and ancilliary charges would apply? But these would not apply if I went with etrade?

Hi
I am a trader in Dublin. I would suggest the following...
No need to go with AIB. Chances are they will be alot more expensive for the kind of trading you have in mind. You could simply open an account with an online broker like etrade. You will pay commission on buying and selling. You will pay stamp duty. Very cost effective..If you need any more help, just shout

Hi

Is there not a pattern day trader as with the US online brokers that only allows you to trade 4 times in 5 rolling days unless you have 25,000 dollars in your account.

As far as i am aware you can set up a margin account and trade 4 times every 5 days rolling, but the USA FCC require day traders to have 25,0000 minimum in their accounts.

odl securities are a uk company, they will let you pay into your account in euros. They charge about £12.50 each deal ie to buy and sell is £25. There is no limit on buying and selling if you only want to do one deal, thats fine by them......its also very easy to get your money back into your account.

I looked at the AIB site they are my bank so I expected a fairly decenet deal but they were charging an absolute fortune.

I ran a mile from them for that very reason....and was very glad I did!

I cant impress how expensive all of the bank charges are.

Last edited:
Back