Online Ordering of Non-Essential Items

Peanuts

Is it possible to order items such as paint or gardening materials (mulch, compost, etc ) online at the moment? I can’t seem to find details online. More time on my hands at the moment especially at weekends but also wondering if I would be increasing the risk on others by ordering such items.

FWIW, I ordered a toy for my son’s birthday on Mon 30th March. A message displayed to say that it was non-essential and there were no guarantees, etc. etc. The estimated delivery date was 20 April.
However, when I chose their fastest delivery option the estimated delivery date was 2nd April, and it arrived on that date.

Yes, many hardware shops are offering delivery or click and collect services.

Hi Peanuts

The shops are in real trouble so would really welcome your order. Go for it.

If you are worried that the Corornavirus might be on the items you buy, you can just quarantine them in your garage or a spare room for 3 days.

Brendan

You can order homebrewing materials for delivery atm. In fact these companies are snowed under with orders and so delivery is slowed but still getting out.

The majority of DIY type places are shut under current rules. Some, but mainly the proper builders providers that stock goods considered essential will be open and facilitating phone or on-line orders, but with restrictions in place.

Around Dublin, TJ O'Mahonys is closed to the public, Chadwicks will only supply HSE projects or essential maintenance items, Goodwins closed to trade and public, Murdocks only supplying public service projects, Brooks are doing emergency supplies only, McMahons are doing emergency supplies for trade customers only, etc..

I ordered my regular supply of Somerset scrumpy cider from the UK last week and it arrived within a couple of days.
It's certainly an essential supply for me as I cocoon for three months !

I ordered my regular supply of Somerset scrumpy cider from the UK last week and it arrived within a couple of days.

Yeah, couriers and the postal system are still operating, so deliveries from countries with less restrictive controls is still a possibility.

The majority of DIY type places are shut under current rules. Some, but mainly the proper builders providers that stock goods considered essential will be open and facilitating phone or on-line orders, but with restrictions in place.

Around Dublin, TJ O'Mahonys is closed to the public, Chadwicks will only supply HSE projects or essential maintenance items, Goodwins closed to trade and public, Murdocks only supplying public service projects, Brooks are doing emergency supplies only, McMahons are doing emergency supplies for trade customers only, etc..
The Woodies near when I work is open.

For online ordering of garden items, try mrmiddleton.com - no connection, but I've heard good things about them. Irish-based shop too

Hi Peanuts

The shops are in real trouble so would really welcome your order. Go for it.

If you are worried that the Corornavirus might be on the items you buy, you can just quarantine them in your garage or a spare room for 3 days.

Brendan

Thanks Brendan, I'm not particularly worried for myself, am working from home and following HES and Government guidance. My question was more around whether there are DIY/gardening companies selling online and if there are, should I be ordering for delivery non-essential items.

That's what I'm finding too. Do you know of any DIY/gardening companies selling online?

That's what I'm finding too. Do you know of any DIY/gardening companies selling online?

The UK outlets like PowerTool World, Axminster, Rutlands etc. are still operating online, but I don't know of any who would ship items like mulch or compost at reasonable rates though. If you were close to the border, there might be some who'd deliver.

Rutlands won't deliver to Ireland at the moment due to the high demand they're experiencing. I haven't tried anyone else.

Reactions: Leo
Rutlands won't deliver to Ireland at the moment due to the high demand they're experiencing. I haven't tried anyone else.

That's interesting, they let you go right up to checkout without any warning. I got a delivery from Power Tool World last week, so no issues there.

Back