Online fraud, bank refusing to cancel pending transactions . .

michaelm

I noticed a discrepancy between my recorded transactions and the 'funds available' amount (which differs from my balance as the transactions are reserved but not yet posted) on my online banking current account. I rang the bank and they detailed two online transactions (not yet visible online) for yesterday which I did not make and which account for the discrepancy. I blocked the card and requested a new (ATM only) card.

That's all straight forward however I find it incredible that they are unwilling to cancel the transactions or contact the retailers re dispute or do something, anything. Instead I apparently have to wait to see if the transactions are posted before they expire (in 3 weeks) and if so complete a dispute form. I asked how that is any way to tackle fraud but got no answer. Is it fair to assume that this is typical of how banks handle such?

I suspect that the transactions have already gone through and can't be rejected at this stage.

It seems reasonable that they require a dispute form to be submitted.

It seems reasonable that they require a dispute form to be submitted.
Indeed, and I submitted such a form the last time this happened to my account. I suppose my issue is that these transactions have yet to post to my account, which they may do anytime between now and three weeks hence, and I can't complete the dispute form until they do. In the meantime I've had to lodge money to my account to cover the fraud otherwise a cheque I've written will bounce.

On a separate note, both this time and last time there was internet fraud on my account eflow was the first transaction . . I wonder if the eflow website is conducive to allowing fraudsters run a series of card numbers to determine which ones work, before using them to make purchases elsewhere.