Online database platform

Lemurz

Need to setup and online global database for work.

Anybody know any good online database providers at reasonable cost?

I think you'll need to be more specific about your requirements. What kind of data will you be storing? Who will be updating? Who will be viewing? What volumes of users? What volumes of data?

Most hosting ISPs provide stuff like databases (e.g. MySQL, MS SQL Server etc.) and server side scripting frameworks (e.g. ASP[X], PHP etc.) and other platforms on which online applications can be developed. Or organisations could host these themselves. However it sounds like this may not be a trivial/basic project so you would really need to do a proper functional specification and only afterwards start looking at what sorts of technologies might be suitable.

Thanks for the replies.

Being more specific - I need to create a global fleet database covering about 130 countires & 25,000 vehicles. Nothing to basic and nothing overly complicated - but will need some from of reporting flexibility to keep the big boys happy & multi-user access to keep databse current.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

My suggestion is to get professional help. For something of this nature, you need professional IT skills. Focus on documenting your user requirements before you worry about choosing platforms or suppliers.

The usual database options would be the likes of Oracle (the 800lb Gorilla), MS SQL Server (the pretender to Oracle's crown) and MySQL (the most popular free/open source software option). However this is only part of the overall issue here and I would agree that you need to do a more detailed requirements analysis and functional specification before worrying about the specific tools to be used.

Lemurz,

Before you get bamboozeled by the IT speak you need to very clearly set out the scope, requirements and budget for this project - then you need to stick to them!

Spend as much time as you can actually writing down, in business terms / normal terms, what you want, how you want it to work and by when does it need to be working. Do not go to IT providers and say "What can we have?" because many will try and sell you all the bells and whistles.

And I second Rainydays advice - get professional help - in fact I just re-read Rainydays post and he has said the same thing as I; and he did it in one sentence!

Back