online banking and security

paperclip

ok, i've done a search for this, and couldn't find anything....

i'm heading off traveling, and plan to use internet banking... current account and savings account.

someone brought up, in another thread, the fact that my log in details could be recorded in an internet cafe... i can see how this could happen...

does anyone have any advice on the subject, is there any way to make your account more secure?

or is it just a risk you have to take?

Accounts which use Two-factor authentication are more secure than those that just use user id, password and PIN for example. Rabo, FA, UB are examples which use a hardware device to implement such a system.

Accounts which use Two-factor authentication are more secure than those that just use user id, password and PIN for example. Rabo, FA, UB are examples which use a hardware device to implement such a system.

ye, but you need to carry around some device.... not suited to traveling realy, will be lucky if i don't loose my camera, mp3 player....

i guess it's just a risk then....

I can't see how carrying around the sort of devices issues by some Irish banks is such a big deal. All additional security will come at some cost in terms of reduced convenience. It's up to you to weigh up the risks and assess what level is acceptable to you. If it was me I'd prefer two factor authentication and carrying the relevant device(s) versus less secure approaches.

I travelled extensively over the last few years and have always used online banking in no-doubt dodgy internet cafes. I have never had any problems and am happy with the level of security that my bank has. They vary the questions and numbers needed each time so that even if someone logged your details in one cafe, they wouldn't be able to enter them and get through.

I know if I was travelling I would have no problem using that method again. i have a Rabo account and find their widget thing an absolute pain. I would find it difficult to travel with definitely, especially if it got damaged or lost backpacking.

I'm sure more organised people have no problem with it, but I know I'd lose it. If it could attach to a keyring, or be credit card sized and fit it a wallet, then I would use it.

I can't understand how some people have such an aversion to using the security code generators from the likes of Rabo etc.

Many banks use a user id, PIN (often 3 random digits from a 5 digit PIN) and a password or an answer to one of a random question from a small set of security questions. Even if only a single login session was recorded/stored this would probably be enough to compromise an account and allow an unauthorised third party to get in eventually. In comparison a two part authentication approach is much more secure. Given the choice between the two options I would always take the second especially when travelling or otherwise using shared computers.

There may also be other possible ways of mitigating security risks in such circumstances - e.g. not 100% sure but it may be possible to run secure applications including an optionally sandboxed browser from a portable USB drive rather than using the applications on the host machine in order to corral your activity to a greater extent from the host machine and unauthorised third parties.

well it seems there's pro's a cons to both.... clubman, i can see where you're coming from...

thing is, my account doesn't use a widget thing.... so here's my plan..

i'll use the internet from reputable hostels... not 100% secure, but i reckon alot more secure than a random internet cafe....

and i'll combine this with phone banking....

Won't phone banking call charges cost a lot from abroad?

i could set up a skype account, and ring them from internet cafes, or use a phone card....

i'll have to look into it, i don't think my phone bankings a premium rate number

ok, just rang my bank, they said it would be the same cost as ringing an irish landline.... so i reckon i could use skype no bother

If it's a 1890/1850 number are you sure that you can call it via Skype? On the other hand they normally also provide an Irish landline number for calling from abroad.

If it's a 1890/1850 number are you sure that you can call it via Skype? On the other hand they normally also provide an Irish landline number for calling from abroad.

ye, they've both on their site, lowcall 1890 and an international number, sorted!

Back