Ongar,Dublin15

anuj21k

Hi,

I was just looking that there is good value available at present in Ongar specially -Barnwell Hansfield. I know the area and location and it all seems middle class to me which is great. What I will like to know from people living in/around the area only is:
1) What amenities are there at present, except bus, possible train?
2) How safe they feel living in the area?
3) Anti-social behaviour from nearby areas- Hartstown and Tyrellstown affecting area, drug issues etc.?

Please keep this civil [i.e. no south-sider comments welcome]
Thanks

It's a few years since I lived there but I'm not sure "middle class" would be an apt description of the area. Anti-social behaviour and car theft or damage against property are not rare.

I'm sure some other posters may have first hand knowledge they can share, I would recommend reading the www.neighbours.ie forum and boards.ie Dublin 15 forum for some more perspectives. All in all I didn't have many issues there personally, but I suspect the demographic of the area has shifted for the worse.

I was going to buy there a couple of years back but decided aganist it as the asking price of the houses was crazy. I had rented previously in Ongar for about 6 months and never had any probleam but one of my friends has bought there and he has been ok where he is but he has told me of various stories of cars been robbed quite regulary.The pros IMO would be having 39 route outside your door and having the likes of Dunnes there, unsure of what other ammenties are therenow as it is over 2 years since i lived there, but there was a Newsagent, Pizza place, Xtra vision and a coffee shop(but food was crap in there) and Paddy power and a Pharmacy as well. The cons would be still no train station, and I don't think the houses offer value for money at this time but that is just my opinion and obviously anti social behaviour that goes on but you get that everywhere these days.

I know the area and location and it all seems middle class to me which is great.

It would definitely not be middle class,I would agree with other posters who mentioned anti social behaviour etc.Massive amt of rental stock and a half built Ghost estate indicate this area would not be a good bet long term.
Would you not consider Clonee which is near by and although built up is definitely a better bet.

Barnwell is an unfinished development,
However Ongar itself and surrounding areas - Manorfields, Ravenswood, Allendale, Latchford etc are have all been finished developments for a number of years.
I disagree with previous posters and think its a nice enough area.
There are plenty of schools locally, there are shops, restaurants, a reliable bus route, the train station at Clonsilla is nearby, there is a cafe in Ongar, a community centre offering plenty of classes, there is a curves gym, yoga studio, spinning studio, pubs, take aways, playgrounds locally etc.
I think it has plenty to offer and would say the anti-social behavious is simply on a par with other areas. It happens everywhere & I dont agree that it is concentrated in Ongar any more than other areas.

It happens everywhere & I dont agree that it is concentrated in Ongar any more than other areas.

This line gets trotted out a lot whenever an area and anti-social behaviour or crime comes up. Not all areas suffer from anti-social behaviour equally. Sure, it can happen anywhere, but isolated instances are not generally of concern to a prospective or current homeowner. An ongoing issue is a massive concern.

A quick search of the neighbours.ie forum, or boards.ie, or searching terms such as "ongar" + "the accused" etc, throws up several choice results. Some quite high profile, such as this:

[broken link removed]

http://www.herald.ie/news/four-cabbies-knifed-in-robbery-blackspot-3128835.html

[broken link removed] - the victim of these attacks has written extensively of the multiple attacks his cars have suffered at the hands of the same scumbags who he believes actually live in Ongar also.

http://www.herald.ie/news/new-lead-in-rafferty-gun-murder-case-linked-to-ira-2937760.html

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/n...from-woman-he-followed-from-bank-1928711.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/fears-for...d-after-liquid-ecstasy-overdoses-1930998.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/terror-of-fans-trapped-in-car-by-violent-teen-1630441.html

[broken link removed]

My comments simply give my perspective of my knowledge of the area queried by the OP.
I should clarify- I live relatively near to the Barnwell Hansfield development & I have done for a number of years - I don't feel unsafe when out going about my daily business in the area. That does not mean there is no anti-social behaviour of course, but I don't think it is excessive in my experience of living there.

The OP would be best advised to check out how complete the development at Barnwell is, and pehaps check the other finished estates in the area as viable alternatives.
The train station at Clonsilla is approx 15mins walk from Barnwell Hansfield + is a regular and busy route to the city (25mins journey to Connolly). The station at Hansfield is not open- I am unsure if it will ever open. The no. 39 is a good bus route also.

Thanks all, went to view the properties and have decided against it as mentioned here as well there are lot of settled area offering better value nearby.

Back