One main meal and two collations!

Yousins are a pile of bloody heathens!

Some customs.

1. Fast before Mass , particularly on sleet filled days , by the time you got home you appreciated breakfast and no whinging about what you preferred.
2. Collations,these were the precursor to Slim -fast.Interestingly I see diet advice now supports collations, and yousins thought the Church was wrong !
3. No meat on Friday , that was a good idea because it helped you appreciate the odd day you got meat.
4. Off the drink for Advent and Lent,
Used to mean an unholy spectacle of Booze round Paddys day in Lent, sadly the spectacles are now most days !
Lent was a training session for Christmas , still has nought to recommend it.
5. Fish on Fridays , still fond memories of Herring Van.

Ps. Yousins are still heathens !

Gerry, the wisdom of 3000 year old tribal writings, scratched on the wall of a cave with a burnt stick. How can we argue against them?

Brendan, you cynic you.

Delighted we have you to accurately interpret their intentions at this remove.

I am in no way interpreting their intentions. I am merely suggesting that they didn't have a knowledge of neuroscience and so that is not what informed their position.
Are you asserting that the wall scratchers did in fact have a knowledge of neuroscience sufficient to inform their position?

Dear Purple,

Stop it , without doubt the wall scratchers had a natural neuroscience capability, its just they hadn,t thought up that big word.
ps. How many of our electronic ramblings will last 3000 years.

Are Connie Dodgers still available in Cork? Named after the bishop, Connie Lucey, these were extra large biscuits that were huge sellers in Cork on fast days 'cos 2 biscuits were allowed with a cup of tea.

My mother was talking about this on Easter Sunday.

I have not heard of it and it was great to find it verified here.

Apparently the Bishop said it was ok to eat one biscuit as a collation so Jacob's made a huge biscuit to meet the law.

Brendan

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/cultureincork/corkslang/

Formerly a very strict Lenten diet was enjoined on Catholics; only one full meal and two small meals(collations) were allowed on fast days. A biscuit or two was also allowed with morning tea to prevent heartburn. Enterprising Cork bakers produced very large biscuits so that those on the Lenten fast could stave off the pangs of hunger while staying within the letter of the law. The biscuits were called ‘Connie dodgers’ after the Catholic bishop of Cork Cornelius Lucey.

Brendan, you seem to make a habit of resurrecting this thread every few years. Is it the whole Easter spirit?

Back