One indicator staying on

DeeFox

I drive a Hyundai Coupe and last week the right indicator went on and would not go off even when the engine is turned off. It is not clicking, just staying on.
I brought it to a Hyundai dealership and they "carried out a diagnostic check,greased connection pins from stalk & cleaned down headlamp earth". This cost €60 but within five minutes of leaving the garage it was back on again. I brought it back and they said it would need a part replaced which would cost €750 - I got such a shock I didn't even listen fully to what it was. I drove away without getting it done and the indicator actually went off and behaved itself for most of the week. But now it is back on - anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with it? Will it really cost so much to fix?
And if I leave it overnight could the indicator being on run the battery down? Thank you for any help.

Find out what the part is and then buy it online from, e.g, http://www.micksgarage.ie/aboutus.aspx or search [broken link removed] and then have a local mechanic fit it for you. The local mechanic will also likely offer you that they will source the part. There is no need to keep going back to the dealer particularly if the car is past its first couple of services and most local garages will give you a service history statement if you ask.

And if I leave it overnight could the indicator being on run the battery down?

It may not run down the battery completely, but it certainly won't do any good, so best to get this thing rectified asap.

It sounds to me like a faulty relay, but I can't believe it would cost €750 to fix. Best to get another opinion. Bring it to another Hyundai dealer, and see what they say.

Find a good independant auto electrician

Keith in MKW is great at this stuff.
[broken link removed]

There address and number is on the bottom of this.

I am a mate and happy customer of the lads.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I did bring it to a different garage before going to the Hyundai Dealership and they said that it could be a number of different reasons and I was better off going to the Dealership (Dan Seamans). I bought it second hand and the place where I bought if from also said there could be a lot of different reasons for this problem. I know absolutely nothing about cars and am worried that I will end up paying a fortune and still not getting it fixed - I'm still annoyed about the €60 I spent last week when clearly the problem wasn't fixed at all.
I'm based in Cork if anyone can recommend anyone who could help me - thank you.

I had this problem years ago on an 86 Corolla, it was a faulty relay cost a couple of punts to replace at the time, but only stayed on when i engaged the indicator..., is yours on all the time even when ignition is off, also could it be a wiring issue with an alarm/torbar? Even if it is a faulty part try autobrakers yards for a salvage part should save you a lot of money!

Back