On Morphine, flying to South Africa, help with legality of import for personal use

rob30

I am travelling to South Africa soon with a relative who is on a controlled drug, related to morphine, for pain.
I have located and will be complying with Irish and British rules on this ( letters from doctor, copies of prescriptions etc).
I have rung the South African embassy twice in Dublin with no success.
Does anyone have an idea of the rules governing this, and can point me in the right direction for information?

Re: On Morphine, flying to South Africa, help with legality of import for personal u

I presume your query is from a legality of importation through customs point of view, rather than a liquid medicine in your hand luggage point of view.

For Customs I've no idea but the wonderfully name SARS - South African Revenue Service runs the customs - you might have more of an idea from them - http://www.sars.gov.za/ (For what it's worth they have very little interest in tourists any time I've passed through , generally they seem much more interested in returning South African citizens importing goods )

If it's about liquids in your luggage - SA has the same rules as Europe for international flights, but for Domestic flights there's no liquid restrictions (as of mid last year anyway)

Re: On Morphine, flying to South Africa, help with legality of import for personal u

Thanks so much for the tip. 2 minutes on hold and I got the answer!
No different really than for the UK or Ireland in essence, just a doctors letter and prescriptions.
If only they could put that on a website!