On line fraud

CMK

Unfortuantely i have been very unlucky lately and my bank accounts have been used by someone else - basically alot of transactions which are not mine. They seem to be mainly online. Two were laser card accounts and the other one credit card. All within the last four months. The most recent was at the weekend.

I have always got the money back from the bank in about 4 weeks.

Has anyone has this experience lately ....I use a banking app on my phone and I am wondering would this be the reason or am I just unlucky!!!

Any thoughts?

thanks

Unfortuantely i have been very unlucky lately and my bank accounts have been used by someone else - basically alot of transactions which are not mine. They seem to be mainly online. Two were laser card accounts and the other one credit card. All within the last four months. The most recent was at the weekend.

I have always got the money back from the bank in about 4 weeks.

Has anyone has this experience lately ....I use a banking app on my phone and I am wondering would this be the reason or am I just unlucky!!!

Any thoughts?

thanks

Hi,

I have had bank accounts for 28 years and I have never had this problem. You say you always got money back in 4 weeks! You need to be more careful with your cards and online and retailer purchases.

am with the bank 20 years Danske Bank - only has happened me in the last six months.

In reply to "Steiner" .....am extremely careful with my bank accounts/cards and rarely buy online - expect flights.

Hence the reason I ask the question about the mobil app - wondering maybe this was the reason.

It has happened to me twice. We are with Danske bank as well (which could be coincidental).

I reconcile my bank account each month, and picked up two transactions that were not mine. I immediately phoned their support line who were very helpful. The person identified that my wifes laser card number had been "spoofed", and said that the scammers pretty much run random number generators and get hits. The card was cancelled immediately, a form was sent to claim back the amounts, and a new card issued straight away. This happened last year, and also two months ago.
In both cases Danske Bank were very efficient.
The fact that I actually check my accounts helps, as the initial amounts were quite small (presumably before a big one). One was for Dominos Pizza for about €75. The person at Danske said that this is one of the common ones, as well as Xtra vision iirc.

I just think that this is one of the prices we pay for having on-line banking ability, and laser/visa cards that can be accepted worldwide. I am very careful with my card, but sometimes you can just be unlucky. There is very little you can do against someone running random number generators and getting lucky.

By the way, one thing I did was scratch out the CVV number on the back of the card. This is needed for on-line transactions only (you don't need it for chip and pin). If I need it to order on-line I have it recorded elsewhere, and if my card gets lost/stolen, the thieves cannot order on-line easily with it.

Last edited:
To be fair the bank were very efficient - they blocked my card immediately when the transactions appeared suspicious - within hours of it happening and yes of course I got new cards. They rang me to say there was suspicious transactions on my account and I had to confirm in writing etc etc that they were not mine.

Yes I got new cards and all accounts. They have all been investigated and hence the reason it can take up to 4 week for you to get your money back.

I know several people the same thing has happened to but only once for them all - each of these friends are with different banks - I am just very unlucky and was trying to ascertain why - hence the quesion of the mobile app as my friends dont use them.

Buddyboy - just saw your reply as I was posting - I guess as you say I just have to accept it as "price we pay for having on-line banking ability" - as you say the bank were very effficent. At the moment its just very inconvenient as I go on holiday on Friday and wont have to the laser card by then - will have to rely on the old way of "cash only"!!

Ouch, sorry to hear you're going on holidays with no card (and a bit jealous )

I don't have a banking app - so you might be able to rule that out.

I also have two cards on the one account (mine and my wifes), and two visa cards on a visa account (again, one card for each of us).

So if one card is cancelled, I still have the other card on the account, as well as the two visa cards.

When my wifes card was compromised, that was cancelled, there was no need to cancel my card, or the account.

It might be an idea to get extra cards when you get back, as a backup.

thanks for that "Buddyboy" - good plan. yes I think I might ditch the app. - it might be the problem.

thanks

The banks are practically making us do on-line banking, and so reducing counter staff to save money, (our branch has reduced from 5 counters to two) they must take the blame for all security problems. I recently tried to change my memorial data on-line and was told that i could only change the password on-line, the other info requires me to renew my onlone account.
I go in-line as little as possible, and use the ATM to check my balance.

Always use a strong password for online banking, mine is 14 characters long and a mixture of letters numbers and symbols. How do I remember it!

I string 3 words together, like say, jesusmaryandjoseph (This post will be deleted if not edited immediately Mary and Joseph)

But type them on the row above where you should be typing them and note how they come out...all jumbled up.

Every little helps:)

Back