On-line access to Halifax Regular Saver/Credit card accounts?

GeneralZod

Do Halifax make you open a current account with them to get on-line access to these:

Regular Saver Account

Credit Card Account

I understand from another thread that you can't access the CC account without having a current account

See post 22 here

Last edited:
I got a halifax credit card last week and i didn't need to open a current account

Ah right thanks gipimann. Obviously I missed that in the other thread :eek:

My post crossed with tweenas. Now I'm confused. :confused:

You can open a CC without a current but you need the current for on-line access right?

No bother GeneralZod, it must be the free money that's blinding us to the small print !!:)

Yes, just seen tweenas' post too - tweenas do you mean you can access your credit card account online without having a halifax current account?

Now we're all crossing - I'll just go and think about my €100.....

Last edited:
I have switched my current account to Halifax from AIB, also in the process of switching my CC.

However, when I checked with Halifax regarding accessing my CC account through their on-line banking, it appears that at present, you can only access your CC balance, no details of transactions.

see [broken link removed] from their help.

When I asked their help people if there are any plans to extend the on-line access to CC transactions, the answer was no, not in the immediate or even even the medium term.

I'm going to miss the AIB on-line system, but then again, it was nice to see a few euro credited to the account on the 10th Oct.

I'm also thinking of switching current account from AIB to halifax but there seems to be some suggestion that halifax may not be very efficient at switching. Also a friend of mine living in London said halifax have a terrible reputation over there for getting things wrong. So I was hoping desperatedan would let me know how the switching went. thanks

I've sent them two loads of info for their credit card and they still want me to call them to discuss matters. All I want is the free €100. Don't they understand this... :(

;)

Well I've sent the THREE sets of docs for my application, got another request yesterday for a copy of my driving license/passport, rang them and they said that my card was in the post! Call centre staff seem very disinterested.

We'll see what arrives in the post.

I stitched to them in July and I have had no end of trouble- have a car loan, cc and current account. Got on ok with the loan and CC so said Id move bank account
The swiching process was appalling, noone took ownership of it, they passed the buck at all points. Direct Debits didnt go through, they rang me 3 times to confirm DD details and STILL didnt process them!!
The banking online isnt great and as it takes so long to process and withdrawal your available balance isnt a true reflection of your real balance.
I have managed to use the debit card fine in most places (saw something about M&S not taking it but I have used it there...) However cant get cashback which is most annoying (and I was told I could when I switched)

Also had the same experience as Dave above- had to send documents numerous times and dont find Call Centre very effecient...

Like I said the loan fine- the only issue I had was that the swiching team managed to cancel the standing order for that two and I gota pretty snotty letter saying my payment had failed! Embarrassing!!
The credit card is fine but again no real online facilities- you can get a ROUGH idea of the balance but your available balance is always your full credit limit and they dont take transactions into account! This is very confusing
All in all not a great customer experience so far!!

I switched a current account and my credit card to Halifax. I actually did all the switching myself, rather than let the bank/s do it. At least then I knew exactly where I stood (to be fair, didn't have too many DDs on my previous account).

Siobhcc, I'm a bit confused by the comment on not seeing the CC balance online - I can see how much I owe which is supposed to reflect the amount due at close of business the previous day.

I switched a current account and my credit card to Halifax. I actually did all the switching myself, rather than let the bank/s do it. At least then I knew exactly where I stood (to be fair, didn't have too many DDs on my previous account).

Siobhcc, I'm a bit confused by the comment on not seeing the CC balance online - I can see how much I owe which is supposed to reflect the amount due at close of business the previous day.

I can see the amount I owe but my available balance is still my full credit limit- it doent reflect what I have spent
Say my credit limit is 10,000. I have a balance of 1000 oweing my available balance still shows as 10,000 not 9, 000. (figures for illustrations purposes!!;) )

I ended up doing all the switching myself in the end (and after about 6 weeks of messing from halifax)

To be fair the Visa Debit is great. I recently used it Australia and had no problems, however I feel that they need to look at their customer service as a whole- lets face it they have been up and running in the UK its not like they are just starting out.
Online banking is also not a very new concept... they could have a lot more facilites than they do now

Thanks for the clarification, I see what you mean now. Too many PINs and passwords in my brain I think! :)

I'm also thinking of switching current account from AIB to halifax but there seems to be some suggestion that halifax may not be very efficient at switching. Also a friend of mine living in London said halifax have a terrible reputation over there for getting things wrong. So I was hoping desperatedan would let me know how the switching went. thanks

Hi there mir2001:

sorry I missed your question, was out of the country for a week there.

I can confirm that there were a few problems with the DD transfers, but these were mainly due to other institutions not processing the new DD with Halifax properly. However, institutions such as Quinn Health(BUPA) and PTSB(Car Loan) were able to correct the problems without much hassle, within the second month, and without any reflection on my credit rating, etc.

Halifax customer service were really helpful and courteous. They are in Dundalk, so you are speaking to Irish people, which helps.

My major problem was with Ulster Bank Mortgages, who are frankly a pain in the ass.

They did not process my DD correctly on month 1.

They sent me a letter apologising for this, said it was entirely their fault, and said it would have no impact on my credit rating or extra interest payments.

They asked me to send a cheque for the missed payment, but I would not do this because of previous problems with them and cheques!!

I contacted their "customer service" dept and asked them could I transfer the payment via e-payment from my Halifax A/c. No was their answer.

Then I agreed to allow them to take the missed payment from my Halifax account, along with the normal monthly payment this month.

Imagine my anger when I returned from abroad, to find an extremely threatening letter from UB, accusing me of reneging on my monthly payment, despite so-called correspondence/reminders from them. They said I was in breach of contract and also outlined that I would be liable for legal expenses of +€3000. They also "advised" me to contact my legal advisor :mad: :mad:

They had only taken the normal monthly payment, and had neglected to take the additional missed payment, as agreed.

As you can imagine, having made an arrrangement to allow them to recover funds they did not take originally, and UB having apologised for their error, this letter was a red flag to me.

Luckily, I had the name of the agent who I had contacted originally to make the arrangement, so when I contacted their so-called customer service centre, I was able to quote this.

I was put straight through a Manager there, who apologised profusely for the letter, said it should never have been sent to me, agreed that the matter was entirely their fault. They would make strenuous efforts to make things right with me, etc. etc. His only excuse was that these letters are issued automatically when there is an arrears situation, which did not impress me, given the circumstances in my case.

Naturally, I said I would process a complaint with the Regulator, if they do not process matters properly from here, and provide me with an acceptable letter of apology and an undertaking that there will be no slur on my good name or impact on my credit rating, etc.

I will report on whatever transpires.

Apologies for the long-winded reply :)

Back