olympus digital SLR camera

june

Just wondering if this is a good camera. Olympus SLR E400 s.

It is selling for €530 in PC world

I am looking for a good camera and this seems like a good buy for that money which is about as much as I would spend.

Thank you

[broken link removed]
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE400/page6.shtml
http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/olympuse400/

Nice-looking camera, and it certainly seems to get pretty favourable reviews. I like the 14~42mm kit lens and the fact that you can use two memory cards at the same time — an xD (up to 2GB) and a CompactFlash (up to 8Gb).

The PC World price is surprisingly keen, too, compared with from Pixmania. Best bet for extra memory would seem to be [broken link removed].

Thanks very much for those tips Doc. I bought the camera anyway. Can you advise on what memory cards to buy? Good value on 7dayshop so I will get it there. I will buy an Xd 2GB so how many GB for a compact flash should I get? 8GB is huge is it? Thanks in advance

Well, it's four times 2GB!

To be honest, unless you want to be able to carry around literally hundreds and hundreds of photos in the camera (maybe even thousands, with a combined storage capacity of 10GB) without downloading them to the PC, then you probably don't need to go for the maximum possible capacity (see CF prices [broken link removed]). I have a single 1GB card and it's usually more than adequate, because I sit at a computer every day and I have a portable card reader/storage drive to back up to when travelling. Also, there's a school of thought which says it's better to have 4x 2GB cards than 1x 8GB. If a card fails (which is always possible), you've 'only' lost 2GB worth of data instead of 8GB...

That said, given that 7dayshop have a flat shipping rate (£3.95), it makes sense to buy several items at the one time. Maybe get a 2x 2GB or a single 4GB CF card and have a look at their special/clearance items for any other bits and bobs you might need?

7dayshop don't do them (more's the pity), but the first thing I would recommend would be to put a protective skylight/UV filter on the front of that nice lens! You can buy them over the counter, or pick them up more cheaply on [broken link removed].