olympus digital SLR camera

june

Just wondering if this is a good camera. Olympus SLR E400 s.

It is selling for €530 in PC world

I am looking for a good camera and this seems like a good buy for that money which is about as much as I would spend.

Thank you

[broken link removed]
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE400/page6.shtml
http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/olympuse400/

Nice-looking camera, and it certainly seems to get pretty favourable reviews. I like the 14~42mm kit lens and the fact that you can use two memory cards at the same time — an xD (up to 2GB) and a CompactFlash (up to 8Gb).

The PC World price is surprisingly keen, too, compared with from Pixmania. Best bet for extra memory would seem to be [broken link removed].

Thanks very much for those tips Doc. I bought the camera anyway. Can you advise on what memory cards to buy? Good value on 7dayshop so I will get it there. I will buy an Xd 2GB so how many GB for a compact flash should I get? 8GB is huge is it? Thanks in advance

Well, it's four times 2GB! :)

To be honest, unless you want to be able to carry around literally hundreds and hundreds of photos in the camera (maybe even thousands, with a combined storage capacity of 10GB) without downloading them to the PC, then you probably don't need to go for the maximum possible capacity (see CF prices [broken link removed]). I have a single 1GB card and it's usually more than adequate, because I sit at a computer every day and I have a portable card reader/storage drive to back up to when travelling. Also, there's a school of thought which says it's better to have 4x 2GB cards than 1x 8GB. If a card fails (which is always possible), you've 'only' lost 2GB worth of data instead of 8GB...

That said, given that 7dayshop have a flat shipping rate (£3.95), it makes sense to buy several items at the one time. Maybe get a 2x 2GB or a single 4GB CF card and have a look at their special/clearance items for any other bits and bobs you might need?

7dayshop don't do them (more's the pity), but the first thing I would recommend would be to put a protective skylight/UV filter on the front of that nice lens! You can buy them over the counter, or pick them up more cheaply on [broken link removed].

Back