Older chap trading up seeking mortgage

Oscar Wilde

Hi Chaps,
Am 49. I have ca. 350K equity in existing small 3 bed and want to trade up. Currently have tracker with outstanding balance of ca. 100K with 9 years left to run on rate of 0.6% with AIB. No other debts.
My wife is 42. and is back in work for the past 10 months.

I was interested in houses in the 700K range.
I've initialed tried talking to AIB but run into difficulty.
Their first response was they'll only give a 15 year mortgage - which kind of screws me as the repayments will be huge.
I told them KBC allow up to 68 (69 years old). They have not responded to that.
I am not sure if I need to give them some letter / undertaking that I will continue to work until then - my employer simply does not have a compulsory retirement age (however they do stop matching pension / stop death in service at age 65)

I initially was advised that I should retain my tracker.
However the way that works is the term of the existing mortgage remains the same - the rate now becomes 1.6% and the new mortgage is spread over the entire term.
i.e. I was quoted 2.5K per month for the first 9 years then reverting to 1.5K.
Basically it is not looking possible for me to ever move - certainly not to retain the tracker as this would result in impossible repayments for the first 9 years.
I guess it is not possible for them to somehow spread out the repayments over the full term.

I do have a Defined Contribution pension which projects to be 380K at retirement.
I am not sure if AIB would take that into consideration - i.e. I could take a 25% of the projected at 65 to clear the mortgage.
Does anyone have any insights on the above?
KRgds
Oscar

First of all at just 49 enough with the "older chap".

You want to borrow €350k (€700-€350), with AIB you can get €100k of that at 1.6% you would have to pay market rate on the balance. The tracker mover rate is saving €2,400 per annum versus a market rate of say 4%.

You don't mention what your and your wife's income is. Nor how secure you employment is. Are you in a position to repay nearly €2k a month for the next 20 years ?

First of all at just 49 enough with the "older chap".

You want to borrow €350k (€700-€350), with AIB you can get €100k of that at 1.6% you would have to pay market rate on the balance. The tracker mover rate is saving €2,400 per annum versus a market rate of say 4%.

You don't mention what your and your wife's income is. Nor how secure you employment is. Are you in a position to repay nearly €2k a month for the next 20 years ?

Thanks for your reply. It is secure employment.
My income is 90K plus a 15% annual bonus. My wifes is 40K plus a 5% annual bonus.
I believe I can pay the 2K a month however I think I will struggle to pay 2.5K a month every month or be able to prove that to AIB either.

Back