Old joists and rafters - burn ?

Birroc

I have a pile of timber in the form of old joists and rafters etc. Would it be a good idea to cut these up and use them for firewood.
Do they burn well ? I could keep the timber for a planned solid fuel stove perhaps. What is the best device to cut these up ?

Would it be a good idea to cut these up and use them for firewood...
Unless you have an absolutely huge fireplace cutting them up is a great idea.
...Do they burn well ?...
They'll burn exceptionally well, but just be careful they haven't been treated with noxious preservatives.

Try to avoid letting the wood get wet, as this will not be the best for your solid fuel stove.
...What is the best device to cut these up ?
Dare I say a saw?

Use a hand-saw for a bit of healthy out-door exercise.

There are very handy little electric chain-saws available that will make short work of them, but wear the requisite protective gear, including a mask. Or hire a saw and gear at a hire place.

If you intend installing a solid-fuel stove, the saw will be useful in the future.

There are very handy little electric chain-saws available that will make short work of them, but wear the requisite protective gear.

Watch out for nails if using electric saw.

Put one end on a brick and jump on them.

Put one end on a brick and jump on them.

If they are joists and rafters and you plan to break them by jumping on them you'd better be the same size as an elephant to make any impression on them.