Old Honda 50 or New Moped

Brenno123

Hi
I am a starter small bike/moped user - due to the ever rising cost of petrol :mad:

I am quite a big guy (6'2") and was considering an older reconditioned Honda 50? I have seen some great bikes with reconditioned engines.
My questions:

Anyone with experience of a Honda 50? Are they suitable for a big guy?
I have a particular interested in a 1988 reconditioned one, could i get a good few more years out of this?

The alternative is to get a slightly bigger newer moped but I havent a huge budget.

I plan to be doing roughly 25miles per day on the new bike.
What would the best option be in peoples experience?

Many thanks
Brendan

I would go with the Honda 50 if you can find a decent one. What a machine, half the country would have never gone anywhere in the 70's and 80's if it wasn't for the Honda 50. Reliable, economical, easy to mount step thru, height no problem, carry 3 in emergency such as home from disco (or even bigger emergency,, to the disco!)... serious kudos from other members of two wheel fraternity that know their stuff. Ah yes.. always preferred the red and white one, Honda 70 will have a little more power for a big frame.

...ok, seriously, I think a 25 mile round trip commute would be a bit much on a recon moped that will only do about 45mph, I would try and get on a 125cc or bigger.

don't do it - 2 days on the bike and you'll wish you never got something that small.

what type of commute is it (city / country)? will it be all year round ?

Go for a bigger bike (restricted 400/600/650) - you will be much better off and much safer. head over to some of the biker forums for more info on getting started - biker, boards, irishbikerforums ...

ps - i'm 6'2 and have been commuting on a DL650 for the past 8 years.

pps - buy best gear you can - road rash off a 49cc @ 20km is the same as road rash off a 1200cc @ 20km

ppps - i raced honda 50's in mondello for a full day earlier this year - awful yokes, crap brakes, crap suspension, poor acceleration, no wind protection .....

Back