Old Guinness Advertisement

sepmilo

Can anyone remember the old ad- well a few years old, which centered around a few lads drinking pints and they said something at the end, a saying which became quite popular in the galway area?

sepmilo said:
Can anyone remember the old ad- well a few years old, which centered around a few lads drinking pints and they said something at the end, a saying which became quite popular in the galway area?
Ta siad ag teacht?

you could try here [broken link removed] they also have a faq and contact us section.

I remember being in the pubs in Galway and Mayo maybe 20 yrs ago and fellas, normally elderly, used to say to the barmaid "Do you want your auld lobby washed down" followed by a really dirty laugh as if they were after cracking a really smutty joke. Never got the joke myself.

The Guinness ad I remember most from my youth is the one where the families of the fiancees' were meeting together for the first time, in a drinking extablishment, not a public bar, maybe a hotel bar. It was a very tense affair and everyone dressed in their Sunday best. The father of the groom was a character exactly like George Roper from the sitcom, George and Mildred. He looked very uncomfortable wearing a tie, sitting there drinking a G&T.

The future daughter in law comes over to him and says "What's that your drinking Mr O'Brien? Wouldn't you prefer a nice pint of Guinness" To which he replies "Well he!he! I would really"

Camera pans back and everyone is sitting in a big group around a table, all happily drinking Guinness. The tension is gone. Naturally, the women are drinking glasses and the men pints.

I asked several people about this ad and no-one else can remember it. Was it my imagination or was it a real ad.

On the subject of good ads, I never understand why the really good ones aren't taken out and shown every so often again. It would be like watching Reelin in the Years. Budweiser and Coke make exellent ads (Christmas ones - seasons greetings, don't get me going on that) and they run them year after year.

Murt

The Guinness ad I remember vividly as a child was the snooker one: the guy drinks a pint as the black ball moves slowly towards the pocket and finishes it before the ball goes in the pocket. In my youth thinking that someone could drink a pint of Guinness so fast!!!

I used to love that ad... :D

Penneys, got a whole lot of things fro Christmas, got a lot for the fam-il-lee,

Got a lot of *** & ***** (no, not swear words, just cant remember what they had a lot of).

Should bring back those classics.

The ESB - think I'm going back, to the things I learned so well, in my youth. Liked that one as well, often thought to make a realistic version where poor divil falls off the Bus Eireann bus, pale from the sticky humid bus with the steamy windows, clambers into the car out of the lashing rain and then theres no fire on at home - what a drag !!!;)

Back