Old Age Pension

E

Eamon

I am a 63 year old who retired on 6th August 2001 after 43 years of continuous employment. During that period I paid the normal PRSI contribution without interruption and also contributed (with my employer) to a defined benefit pension scheme.
On the termination of my employment I set up a management consultancy (sole trader) business and operated that business until October 1, 2003 when I sold its goodwill. I then went into retirement and that is my present status. During the period of the consultancy I paid the normal self-employed PRSI/Health Levy.
I am presently enjoying the benefits of the occupational pension scheme but understand that on reaching 65 this pension will be reduced by the amount of the State Pension on the basis that at 66 I will then be entitlement to the State (Old Age) Pension and, accordingly, my level of benefit will then be maintained. The justification is that, apparently, my pension is now being supplemented by the amount of the state benefit and that this supplement will be discontinued when this benefit becomes available.
My questions are as follows:
1.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Apart from notifying the Department of Social Welfare of my changed employment status on 6th August 2001 and/or on 1st October, 2003 in the context of my registration as self- employed do I need to do anything else to ensure I get my due entitlements when I reach 66?
2.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Am I entitled to unemployment benefit until I reach 66 and what do I need to do now to obtain it?

Back