Oil v Solid fuel stove

roadrunner

I was going to install on Oil stove in our main living room.
However our plumber strongly recommedned getting a sloid fuel stove.
What options do I have here - can they be connected to the radiators to help heat them as well.
What are the advantages over an Oil stove?

Yes, they can be hooked up to the central heating but this depends on location of pipes etc. I assume you have oil central heating?! The advantages of having solid fuel heating as well as oil is, if you run out off oil you have a back up or atleast one warm room in the house. Back boilers in fireplaces are making a noteable comeback, people like the idea of duel heating, it gives choice with the changing price of fuel.

Yes, they can be hooked up to the central heating but this depends on location of pipes etc. I assume you have oil central heating?! The advantages of having solid fuel heating as well as oil is, if you run out off oil you have a back up or atleast one warm room in the house. Back boilers in fireplaces are making a noteable comeback, people like the idea of duel heating, it gives choice with the changing price of fuel.
Some food for thought in the above post from DavyJones. You might also consider a dual-fuel stove which gives you even more flexibility.

I'd be very wary of depending totally on oil. With oil depletion and global warming, oil is going to get very expensive so it is a good idea to keep your heating options open. I'd listen to your plumber.

Ruam

thanks for those replies - yes primary heating is oil based. I`m also installing sloar panels for water heating. Is it a big job at this stage to connect solid fuel stove to radiators - is a back boiler required here or is it just a case of connecting stove to rads directly?

I have oil heating and two multifuel stoves which I would'nt part with for the world.

I have one in the dining room which has a back boiler that heats water and some rads (I have 23 rads in hse so naturally it would'nt heat them all) and in the sitting room I have one without a back boiler so that if we did'nt have any electricity we could still light this. The one in the sitting room is the one that we use mostly, it is very economical and the heat is something else. Both are Jotul No3's cleanburn.

Pardon my ignorance - so a backboiler is required in order to heat radiators from the stove? - roughly how much is one of these & do they need to be fitted beside the fireplace?

The backboiler is built into the stove and you won't even see it.

NHG, would the Jotul be a different beast altogether from the waterford stanley stove? Am very ignorant in this dept. (sorry for jumping in roadrunner!)

Yes in a nutshell! I have stanley's with a backboiler in a few houses that I rent out and they are cheaper to buy, but dearer to run and harder to clean out.

I bought mine in Fenton Fires in Greystones about 8 years ago and my parents and one of their friends also have jotul well over 10 years ago and they would not part with them.

My brother-in-law has a hunter stove and he cannot understand how little fuel our stove uses - our sittingroom is 18 x 20 with 1 very large celing to floor bay window and another large ceiling to window and a set of french to outside and a set of double doors into the sunroom and we fight over having to leave the door out to the hall open as my OH can't stick the heat and I love it. We usually light it around 5 ish this weather and one shovel of coal and that's all that goes on it for the night and the room is still warm in the morning.

My brother-in-law has a hunter stove and he cannot understand how little fuel our stove uses - our sittingroom is 18 x 20 with 1 very large celing to floor bay window and another large ceiling to window and a set of french to outside and a set of double doors into the sunroom and we fight over having to leave the door out to the hall open as my OH can't stick the heat and I love it. We usually light it around 5 ish this weather and one shovel of coal and that's all that goes on it for the night and the room is still warm in the morning.

Cripes !!!

What kind of coal do you use ??? Plutonium-based ?

can someone tell me is it alot of workto attach the stove with a back boiler to the heating system. Is there alot of pipe work to be done and if so is it expensive and is there a huge amount of chasing and lifting of floorboards to get to the tank. Guy trying to sell me wood pellet boiler sugested that his way was cheaper and alot less hassel.

can someone tell me is it alot of workto attach the stove with a back boiler to the heating system. Is there alot of pipe work to be done and if so is it expensive and is there a huge amount of chasing and lifting of floorboards to get to the tank. Guy trying to sell me wood pellet boiler sugested that his way was cheaper and alot less hassel.

If you have an oil burner now, then fitting a wood pellet boiler is more or less a straight swap. If you fit a stove you'll need to run two pipes from the stove to the cylinder, once these two pipes are at the cylinder they can be tee'd into the radiator heating system.
you will need a new dual coiled cylinder, a coil for every heat source,e.g boiler, stove, solar panel etc. It's not impossible depending on location of stove and cylinder although acess to pipe runs may be restricted. e.g finished floors upstairs.

Back