Oil Tank (gravity feed)

DamoH

Hello,
Looking to move my oil tank as far away from my house as possible (the boiler its self is situated in a garage). Just wondering if any one knows approximately what distance I could move the tank to still ensure sufficient oil supply to the boiler?

Thanks
Damo

Our tank is about 30m from the boiler - and no problems. I would have thought that as long as the oil tank outlet is at least a foot or so higher than the inlet for the boiler - you should be OK.

What kind of fall do you have from the Tank to the boiler…. Mine will be running slightly up hill once I have buried the pipes (i.e. the tank is lower)

Thanks

Hi DamoH, is the tank above the level of the boiler? Gravity feed, as the name implies, needs a drop to be effective. The pipes from the tank to the boiler can be lower, but oil in a tank below the level of the boiler intake will not flow uphill unless pumped.
Leo

Yeah i can keep the outlet from the tank above the inlet of the boiler by approx 2'.... but the pipe itself will be running slightly uphill, i can't keep it level due to service pipes being in the way...
Thanks
Damo

That should be fine so, as long as there is a difference between the tank and boiler, the oil will get where it needs to go.
Leo

Back