Oil Heating- Currenlty €300 per month

taz

Hi,
Moved in our house in November and put approx. 400l oil in it ran out within 4 weeks so filled up again with another 400l it went within 4-5 weeks so thought it was getting taken installed lock on the tank and filled up once again. The oil ran out again last week after 4 weeks so need to explore different avaenue.
The boiler is an inside boiler and previous owners have it outside in a dog kennel and the boiler and tank are about 6 foot from the back door. There does not seem to be a leak. The heat is on for a total of 4 hours a day and the house is 1500 sq. feet. The hot water is boiling when the heat is on so do you think there may be a problem with the thermostat.

Any advice would be great not getting more oil until I have a plan.

Thanks
Taz

I would get a plumber in to have a look at your oil line, clock & thermostat. He should be able to get everything to the optimum temperature, time etc, and ensure that you don't have a leak.

Another word of advice is when purchasing heating oil always order 1000l if you can. For smaller drops such as 400l you will be paying a much higher pricer per litre than for a 1000l. This stands to reason as it costs the oil company the same to deliver 400l as it does 1000l. You could also check to see if the company has a monthly payment plan so that you could spread out your costs if necessary.

How high is the thermostat set to, it seems to be just set to high, i had mine set to maximum and only got 5 weeks out of a similar amount with being on for 3 hours per day, turning the thermostat down will save you money

As well as turning down the thermostat it might be no harm to have your boiler serviced also.

Thanks for the replies. The oil line is fine no leaks and the timer is ok too so probably the thermostat so will organise to get that looked and the boiler serviced and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks again

My brother discovered that his burner had a problem with a motorised valve being stuck open so the burner kept turning it self on and used a lot of oil on him. Could be the same problem

Thermostatic radiator valves are also worth installing as an energy saver imo.