Oil Cooker in Kitchen

lemon125

Hi,
My father has a 15 year old Staley Oil cooker with the doors hanging off etc and is costing him a fortune in oil each year, it heats the water too. He badly needs to replace it as it is clearly gone past its sell by date.
Does anyone have any idea what he should do? Get another oil cooker but what kind? And are they efficient? Or remove it completely and get an outside boiler or something? The house was built in 1978, the insulation is there but never changed and the radiators prob arent the very best

Hi Lemon,

Im in the same boat, I bought a house built in 1979 and I have an oil Stanley cooker in the kitchen also, I have done lots of research so I will help as much as I can.

I rang Staley and they told me my Staley was over 20 years old and they don't built them anymore this type of Stanley I have eats the oil and they are not sufficient, a new Stanley will cost any thing up to 7000-10000euros. this is too costly so I suggest doing what I am doing.

Get a plumber in to quote for the following.
1) A New boiler for outside the house e.g the back garden they cost about 600.00euros for the boiler
2) Rads cost anything from 70-100euros each and then you have to fit them also which will cost something like 150.00euros max per rad supplied and fitted, it is up to your father if he needs new or more rads, however if the rads are old they take some time to heat up new rads have one third of the water inside them so they will heat up quicker causing less usage on the boiler there fore saying you money on oil, new boilers will save up to 20% versus an oil boiler, new rads are more sufficient but are not necessarily needed to be changed

I got a price of 3,500.00euros + vat this includes a bath to be fitted into my bathroom so your costs should be less, parts cost about 2,000-2,500euros alone, heat merchants is where you want to go to get costs for everything but unless you know about fitting a boiler and rads I would leave it up to a plumber. Prices may be different from each plumber you ask best to ask for a couple of quotes I would think.

Best of luck

Thanks,
Didnt think it'd be that expensive, I was advising him to maybe get new insulation and maybe look at changing the windows too but thats big money for him to take on in his retirement.

Hi Lemon,

Your right, however if he gets a boiler which costs 600euros and gets it fitted this will heat up the rads quicker regardless if nothing else is done, you could always get a plumber to quote you for same sure the worst you can say is no thanks, extra insulation does help but make sure also the house is draft proof, you would be surprised where heat is been lost, go into www.google.ie and type draft proofing so you will have some idea what im talking about. If the windows are single glaze then there is some sort of sheets I believe you can apply to the windows to stop the heat from escaping not to sure about this one. Other ways to heat up a room quickly is to buy a superser portable heater you know the one that you put a bottle of gas in the back off and connect it, then again you can't beat the old open fire either, superser costs aboutn 200.00euros there abouts can be bought in Atlantic Homecare, when I moved into my house it was winter the heating wasn't great so we bought one of these it did wonders to the place for heat as a cheap option, hopefully I'll get my heating sorted by the end of the month and I won't have the same issue this year.

Best of luck whichever options you go with.

you should look to you local council for grant aid, you may be able to get it for both heating, insulation, and new windows.........

Back