Oil central heating control switch

briancbyrne

Hi,

I need to replace this switch and was wondering if anybody has got a simiar job done? - the system itself is perfect but due to the timer never been used before (ie it has only ever been turned on manually when needed) the timer function does not seem to be working.

Just wondering about the costs of such a job?

Cheers,
Brian

A digital timer will cost you anything from €50 upwards depending on what functions you want.

A bog standard push in timer will cost you €10.

The labour will be €0 if as it's a 10 minute job that you can do yourself once you have the breaker turned off.

Thanks Ballyman - Am handy enough at the DIY - so its a simple enough job replacing the switch so?
Didnt want to go at it in case i make a mess of it.

Thanks,

Brian

I did a similar thing.
Our house had a ten year old timer which controlled the boiler. Problem was that it was only timed control with no thermostatic cut out. sometimes it was too hot sometimes too cold.

Further to the problem was that it was in a utility room which meant that I couldn't just add a thermostat there, as the utility room's temperature isn't as regulated as the rest of the house (back door etc). Other option was to run wires for a new thermostat.

The solution was this product. http://www.thermsaver.co.uk/heating_controls/rf_program_stat.html

Absolutely brilliant - install the wireless reciever where your current timer is and put the controller with the thermostat whereever you want - dining room etc. Really easy programming up to 7 different settings a day. Bought it on ebay off a company in the UK which made it quite reasonable pricewise.

Even has optimum start where it you set the temp say 18deg at 16:00. It will start the heating before 16:00 based on the delta in temp between the current temp and the required temp.