off to France for the bathrooms

gally74

hello,

weve been looking into this, i know ill have to put in a pressurised system but it defiently looks like a good option.

Does anyone have any experience?

Hi Gally,

We bought all of our toilets, sinks and cabin showers(?correct name) in France this time last year. They are currently being installed and are looking great. We made great savings and as we are putting all bedrooms en-suite, there is no way we could have done it had we not gone to France for the bathroom ware.
The one thing I found was that the toilets had a pipe/connection from the side of cistern going into the wall. For this reason we went for wall hung loos, (still made huge savings).
Cabin showers cost a fraction of what they cost here, plus we wont need to tile.....Be careful though and make sure you shop around as the quality can vary massively between different stores.
Let me know if I can be of anymore help...

Bobbins.

thanks bobbins, we were thinking of going to castoroma, as we can see the goods here online,

did your plumber have any issues with connections etc. what area did you go to?

thanks for all the help.

Can't say that we went to 'Castorama', never actually came across one to be honest. We found Leroy Merlin to be about the best and some Mr. Bricolage offered decent enough quality. It completely depends on what your looking for in terms of spec etc.

TBH the Brico Depot offered less in terms of quality but their prices are rock bottom, again depending on what you are looking for, but we didn't make any purchases here.

Definately carry out as much research as you can on the products. We had been to Brittany a few months before on a holiday/research mission, so we had a fair idea of where we were going. If you travel to different towns, don't discount a store because you were in one in another town as we found that they carried different things in each branch ie a wider selections of showers or stoves or whatever....

We concentrated on St. Brieuc (Brittany) and surrounding areas. Do learn a bit of French if you don't have any. I speak a small bit from my school days and it really did come in handy. We found my bad french broke the ice and shop assistants were apprecitative and very helpful...(probably out of pity )!!!

Plumber has had no problems, just had to let him know b4hand that we were intending on going to France for bathroom ware.........

Let me know how you get on...if I can be of any further help, just let me know....!

Bobbins.

(absolutely no connection with any of the above mentioned companies!)

Last edited:
I don't want to take this discussion OT, but could some knowledgeable poster PM me with price comparisons (or post here if that's OK). Thanks.

thanks again mr bobbins,

i heard of leroy martin aswell, ill check out some prices and get to work.

i stayed in carnac over there beofre aswell, cant beat the wine and food, it sure beats a rainy car park in ireland.

We went last year. We went as far as Vannes and it took us an age to pull the incresingly heavy trailer all the way back to Roscoff. However the savings and choice available in France made it well worth while and we definitely covered our costs. We shopped mainly in Castorama and Leroy Merlin. We did visit Lapeyre and Mr Bricolage but bought nothing from them. The staff in LM were much, much better - they knew their products and were always happy to help. LM's had a booklet translating english-french for us and signed us up for a loyalty card that entitled us to 10% off immediately. We bought our wall hung loos from Castorama at €200 each including wall bracket and this was their most expensive. We also got some laminate flooring and sinks and taps. I couldn't recommend the trip highly enough, and am tempted to go again!

Can people give there budgets for their sanitary ware as this would be the most important thing when going abroad...i think anyway. What was your total spend for the trip?