Odour from shower drain but its not blocked

Blackrock1

We have a wet room style shower in our en suite, drain is the same as this one

[broken link removed]

Quite often there is an odour from the drain, i cant figure it out, i have cleaned everything, made sure its unblocked etc etc,

any ideas? house is only 2/2.5 years old.

There should always be enough water in the trap within that drain to cover the entire outlet pipe, this is to block air from the outlet pipe and sewer/ drainage entering the house. It's possible the volume of water flow through the pipe is creating a syphoning effect sucking the water out so that air can freely flow into the house. When you do get the smell, can you see if the water level is covering the outlet?

There should always be enough water in the trap within that drain to cover the entire outlet pipe, this is to block air from the outlet pipe and sewer/ drainage entering the house. It's possible the volume of water flow through the pipe is creating a syphoning effect sucking the water out so that air can freely flow into the house. When you do get the smell, can you see if the water level is covering the outlet?
I bought a house a few years ago and was getting unpleasant odours periodically. Turned out the builder had not put a standpipe vent on one set of pipes, so any time there was any sort of rush of water down the mains sewage or my own waste pipes, the sink/bath/shower would all be syphoned empty, letting the odours into the house. Feckin horrible, but an easy fix in the end thankfully!

Reactions: Leo

yes had read that later on, im going to check over the weekend to see, presume that will be it, also read something about flushing toilets or running taps draining the traps.

how is that fixed?

yes had read that later on, im going to check over the weekend to see, presume that will be it, also read something about flushing toilets or running taps draining the traps.

how is that fixed?
You'd need to find out why the water is leaving the shower trap, then rectify that. Could be that the shower trap is leaking or not level in-whichcase it would need to be fixed, could be a scenario like mine where the waste system has not been properly ventilated at some point so a vent would need to be added etc.

When you do figure out if the smell is there when the shower trap is empty, then you can refill it and see if you can note when it empties next to determine the cause. So for example flush toilets one at a time and see if that drains it, fill the sink then let it drain, same with the bath etc.

The more investigation you can do yourself now to try and determine the cause the better.

Back