Octavia Vrs

interested

Anyone here have one of these or know much about them? I took one for a test drive last week and was most impressed .Its a lot less than the new Golf Gti and has same engine I believe and yet it seems reasonably economical too.

they are a very good car, they are also popular with the crims who love to break into your house! make sure you have plenty of home security

[broken link removed]

Thanks Contemp but having had a WRX previously I am well used to taking pretty extreme security measures.

Friend had one for a while and i must admit i was very impressed with it. i've never been much of a badge snob anyway (though i confess i now own a bmw!) but the vrs is a great car, plenty of power and handles very well plus a very capable saloon with buckets of space. Very good buy i reckon especially if you bring one in from the UK where there's a much better choice.

Excellent choice the Vrs will hold its value better than most,
But I do prefer the Golf GTI for overall Looks.
But the VRs is bigger and would be more practical.

It’s a pity that DSG is not an option with the Skoda VRs. (Last time I looked)

And maybe a 4x4 version would be nice.

Focus ST might be a better bet. Rarer, quicker, although more expensive to buy and run.

Residuals will be strong according to the trade.

Skoda have now put the 2.0 TDI engine into the RS - so you could have the best of both worlds - good ecomony and good handling - I believe this engine can be chipped so bhp goes from 140 to 170

How much is the RS TDI?

Should be able to chip to 200bhp I would imagine.

The chasis should be able to handle it as the petrol is 200 bhp.

Could embarass a lot of bmw drivers.

I wouldn't fancy putting petrol into a car like that diesel not so bad.

Dont know much about the new RS TDI but I drove a friends new Passat tdi 140 which i believe to be the same engine and i found it a nice car to drive.One other point 140 bhp in a Octavia may not ne great as they have a Fabia VRS which has a 130 BHP TDI fitted and thats a much smaller car.

I would imagine the octavia is lighter than the new passat so that should help as well.

Just the badge snob problem.

I wass behind a 2.0 tdi passat very smoky oilt looking to the point you could see the oil on the back bumper above the exhaust.

Is this normal during bedding in on VAG engines?

Im not sure Frank but I travelled to Naas Tuesday and was behind an 05 Mercedes 270 CDI . every time he accelerated puffs of black smoke came from his exhaust. I was most surprised at that from such a new car !!