Octavia 1.6 or 1.9?

Kenbo

Hi All
Which one of these diesel engines is the better choice "newer" 1.6 or older 1.9 diesel. Little difference in price, performance ,economy or road tax.
Which is the better purchase?
Kenbo

There are 3 versions of the 1.6TDI, we got the 105 Bhp in january and cannot fault it.
1.6 have the latest technology and is the perferred choice IMO.

Just a small bit suspicious regarding the older 1.9 unit. I think we should go for the newer 1.6 tdi unit. Hard to find a direct comparision online,tried Honest John etc.etc. Car will be doing up to 20,000 miles per year so reliability is key as is fuel economy.Also is it worth spending €1,500 more for Ambiente version as opposed to basic Classic version,(A/C,elec. rear windows,computer,bluetooth).
Thanks for replies.
Kenbo

Best option will be 1.6tdi (105bhp) Ambiente (if that is the "middle" version?)

I've got an older version 1.9tdi with 350,000km on the clock and it has never, ever, let us down. A dull car to own and drive but ultra reliable.

They both have a reverse gear, surely?

I've the older version 1.9TDi too and, while it's very reliable and very economical, it's a noisy old beast. Perhaps the newer 1.6TDi (also a VAG engine) will have retained the virtues of the original while losing that distinctive "rattle". Also, it's a bit cheaper on road tax. Going forward.

...Also is it worth spending €1,500 more for Ambiente version as opposed to basic Classic version,(A/C,elec. rear windows,computer,bluetooth) ...
Only you know whether these "toys" add any value to your motoring.

Skoda Octavia

1.6tdi is definitely the way to go, slightly better acceleration, better fuel efficiency (I think the new one uses something like 4.4 ltr per 100km), also less emmissions meaning cheaper road tax.

Agree that only you can decide if you want to pay for the extras in the mid range model, I think the base one does not have alloy wheels, which some people think should be standard on all cars. Also, will you get use out of the Air Con or Bluetooth. I dont think I would buy a car now that did not have air con.

For the same reasons you have, better fuel efficiency, emmissions etc., 1.6tdi will be the most popular model and best for trade ins from here on in. Going forward.

Hope this helps.

The tried & tested 1.9TDi would be my choice. A bit noisy but a proven work horse over the years

The consensus here is "going forward" with the newer engine. You're breaking rank. Do you not realise that dissent is streng verboten around here?