OCT 2020 Extension prices Dublin

Kitten

Hi,

I have been told by an architect that 140k is a low, practically feeble budget for a 40sq meter extension ....no structural issues, not looking for anything out of the ordinary.....just need more space...

We are a 4 bed semi d house, South Dublin with side access for construction etc so very straightforward.

Is this insane? We were made to feel somewhat penny-pinching lol! We are obviously going to talk to others but am I living on a different planet?

Thanks
Kitten

Last edited:
I don't know where your architect is living if he/she is paying anything like that for a (standard, run of the mill ) 40sqm extension.

Have a look here:-
Cost Calculator.

Yes the calculator is definitely out of date, we had looked at it....she was saying to expect up to 3k per square meter.

Yes it may well be dated, but after looking at about three more sites NONE of them come close to €140K.
This is from PTSB dated Oct. 2019:-

"Arriving at an overall cost starts, quite literally, from the ground up. When you go to a builder for an estimate, many of them will simply look at the number of square metres of floor space to be extended and multiply it by a baseline figure. This is usually just over €1,000 per square metre for a single storey extension.

Instead, budget initially for around €2,000 per square metre for a new build.............."

Their calculator also comes to €67.2K, for 'builders finish', not sure how old that is though.

Even allow, say, 33% on that and you still have a lot to fit it out with what's left of the initial €140K

Did you have read of this ? :-

Last edited:
Yes we looked at that one earlier but have really lost faith in anything pre 2020 as the prices seem to have jumped significantly . See attached also.... https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2017/0313/859297-8-tips-for-designing-your-dream-home/

The relevant part of the article:

Currently, you should budget €2,000 per square meter for new building works. This includes extensions and between €850 and €1,200 per square meter for refurbishment works. NB: These figures do not include the purchase of things like windows, kitchens, bathroom fittings or finishes but do cover all construction works, electrical and plumbing works, internal doors and the fitting of all finishes and sanitary ware.

Meeting a construction company today so will keep you posted. From the conversation I had with the gentleman he was adamant that I should stay within the 40sqm (we had considered going to 46 as we have room to the side of the house), as in his mind 40sq meters is significant additional space - it's just so hard to visualise it. Will see how it goes. We need to box clever as I intend to stay within budget if at all possible. Actually I would be happier only spending 125k if at all possible.

Prices have jumped since covid lock down. Cost of materials gone through the roof. Good labour is hard to get. Profit margin for builders for home extensions is a lot higher than for sub contractors on large sites.

The RIAI guidelines are from 2019 and with the way the market has gone, they are out of date too.

Meeting a construction company today so will keep you posted. From the conversation I had with the gentleman he was adamant that I should stay within the 40sqm (we had considered going to 46 as we have room to the side of the house), as in his mind 40sq meters is significant additional space - it's just so hard to visualise it. Will see how it goes. We need to box clever as I intend to stay within budget if at all possible. Actually I would be happier only spending 125k if at all possible.
With money like that, please use an architect. Do not rely on the construction company (or yourself) to come up with a good design.

Out of interest how much would an architect charge to design a 40m extension including the internal layout and any planning requests?

Roughly 4k for a planning consultant to include :

Consultation with Client House Survey Preparation of the following drawings: • Proposed Site Layout • Existing & Proposed Floor Plans • Existing & Proposed Elevations • Proposed Contiguous Elevations • Proposed Section Planning administration including drafting of public notices, planning application forms & consolidation of reports by others Pre-validation review Hand deliver planning application to Local Authority

Am I wrong in saying a planning consultant is similar enough to an architect to satisfy that requirement?

Roughly 4k for a planning consultant to include :

Consultation with Client House Survey Preparation of the following drawings: • Proposed Site Layout • Existing & Proposed Floor Plans • Existing & Proposed Elevations • Proposed Contiguous Elevations • Proposed Section Planning administration including drafting of public notices, planning application forms & consolidation of reports by others Pre-validation review Hand deliver planning application to Local Authority

Am I wrong in saying a planning consultant is similar enough to an architect to satisfy that requirement?

Not exactly sure what a planning consultant is supposed to be?
Any architect would do the same for similar money.

Hi,

I have been told by an architect that 140k is a low, practically feeble budget for a 40sq meter extension ....no structural issues, not looking for anything out of the ordinary.....just need more space...

We are a 4 bed semi d house, South Dublin with side access for construction etc so very straightforward.

Is this insane? We were made to feel somewhat penny-pinching lol! We are obviously going to talk to others but am I living on a different planet?

build cost would be 2-4K per sqm for extension alone. plus fees, plus vat, plus work to existing property = 140 is not nearly enough.

I’ve been looking into a retrofit and 20sqm extension of a 3 bed semi with large side access and have budgeted 280k and worried it’s not enough.

use an architect, spend time preparing your brief and ask yourself if you really need to extend so much. It might be that moving some internal walls and 10sqm is all you really need.

build cost would be 2-4K per sqm for extension alone. plus fees, plus vat, plus work to existing property = 140 is not nearly enough.

I’ve been looking into a retrofit and 20sqm extension of a 3 bed semi with large side access and have budgeted 280k and worried it’s not enough.

use an architect, spend time preparing your brief and ask yourself if you really need to extend so much. It might be that moving some internal walls and 10sqm is all you really need.

That seems insanely expensive, even for south Dublin. If its accurate I really need to go back to the drawing board re plans for an extension in the next few years, it may make a lot more sense to move.

€280k for a 20sq m extension????
Would the person not be better off Trading Up to a bigger house?

€280k for a 20sq m extension????
Would the person not be better off Trading Up to a bigger house?

Of course they would be, with prices like that.
Don't forget though that Spondulix ( appropriate username :) ) built in, excuse the pun, plenty of leeway with his figures, 100% of leeway to be exact.
build cost would be 2-4K per sqm for extension alone.

I was speaking with a friend of mine just this morning, who has his own construction company for over 35 years, and
I mentioned this to him. His reply:- 'If I could get away with prices like that I would have retired many, many years ago'.

According to Perfect Property, (interesting read) dated March 2020 the average build cost ( NB. just build cost ) of a new house is € 968.40 per square metre for a 100sqm house which includes, foundation, roofing, interior and exterior doors, windows, insulation, drywall, paint, flooring, and electrical, plumbing and light fixtures.
I would realistically expect to pay a bit more per sqm. for a smaller extension though, but certainly nowhere near 4K per sqm., unless you are gold plating the walls. :eek:

Of course they would be, with prices like that.
Don't forget though that Spondulix ( appropriate username :) ) built in, excuse the pun, plenty of leeway with his figures, 100% of leeway to be exact.

To be clear that 280 includes complete gutting of of a 90sqm house as well as the extension. All new windows, floors, insulation, doors, kitchen, wardrobes, slider, bi-fold etc. a lot of fees and VAT also. Architects have generally said 2.5k - 3k per sqm for extension, but apparently there’s a lot of additional costs when you knock your kitchen down and tear up the interior of your house o_O

Let's add the numbers up! 90sqm * 2k = 180k (existing building)
20sqm * 2.5k = 50k (extension)

All together: 230k. That's excluding VAT, fees and any additional landscaping, which makes my poor budget very tight indeed.

According to Perfect Property, (interesting read) dated March 2020 the average build cost ( NB. just build cost ) of a new house is € 968.40 per square metre for a 100sqm house which includes, foundation, roofing, interior and exterior doors, windows, insulation, drywall, paint, flooring, and electrical, plumbing and light fixtures.
I would realistically expect to pay a bit more per sqm. for a smaller extension though, but certainly nowhere near 4K per sqm., unless you are gold plating the walls. :eek:

Yeah the 4k would be rather on the expensive side but a small extension could hit this depending of complexity of work, making good etc. How much is a nice porch these days?

I've spoken to 5 architects about the project, formally and informally and they all basically align on cost estimations. Have yet to bring it to a QS though. And yes - it may well be cheaper to move!

Last edited:
Ah right, thanks for clearing that up.

Your initial post certainly made it look as if you were budgeting €280K for a 20sqm extension alone and worried that it may not be enough !
You did mention a 'retro fit', which really turns out to be a complete refurbishment of a house which is included in the €280K.

Not saying whether it's good/bad price but makes a bit more sense now.

Last edited:
Back