Occupancy query on site with permission

M

marypop123

Hi,

Can anyone please answer this question for me. There is a site i want to buy that has planning permission for a house already. However, there is a condition on the permission that the house can only be built by a local or whoever the council agree to in writing. Is there a way around this? Can non locals build on site that has permission but only for a local?

local needs planning can be really tricky to get around- can you dig up any long lost grannies in the locality ? or if you have a specific need to be in the area also helps make case to planners- e.g a non local that is a public health nurse for the area or runs a local business would have much better chance than someone buying in area to commmute to city......you can flag this up in a pre- planning meeting. but my experience is only through trying to buy a local needs site last year- we eventually gave up even though it was only 10 miles from where i grew up!! but you could be lucky.

Hi marypop123,

Particularising permissions/refusals causes me some concern.
Is a grant an unfair advantage to the successful local applicant?
Is a denial an unfair restriction of choice on someone who doesn't live locally?

Isn't a development of the land the same whoever lives there?
Why is a local who lives locally considered more beneficial to a community?
Is "outsider" who might being new thoughts idea and genetics to the area a problem?

Is this enforced gene-pooling, or just parish pump politics to control election results by proxy?
I personally think that if provision of a dwelling is goverened by planning laws they should stick to that not play favourites.

My suggestion is relevant to country areas.
More than 50% of humanity will be living in cities for the first time this century.
Maintaining population growth, not growing, smaller local - particularly rural - communities is now a greater challenge than ever.
Restrictions on development need to be focussed on preserving Green Belts and encouraging appropriate densities near towns, but after that - hands off the system!

I think a successful challenge could be mounted in a Court based on some of the above and backed up with precedent.
This would have to be well researched and you'd need VERY deep pockets, which is why not many have tried to change the law I suspect.

If anyone knows of a precedent on this I'd apreciate a heads up either on this forum or by PM.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.