Obsessive behaviour

ZEGAR

Now I put my hands up and state right now that I do not have any children...I dont dislike children..I think they are great and cannot wait to have my own BUT..

A work collegue of mine talks constantly about her children..Every Monday morning I get to look at pictures taken over the weekend of the various escapades.
Daily I get updates on what time they woke/went to bed/napped/coughed/did a wee/a poo and I have the priviliage of getting in depth descriptions of various medical complaints.

I know children are the world to their parents but I have never come across this level of intensity before..Every conversation gets around to the children...
Is it because I dont have any of my own that I find this very annoying or is it just annoying......

ZEGAR said:
Now I put my hands up and state right now that I do not have any children...I dont dislike children..I think they are great and cannot wait to have my own BUT..

A work collegue of mine talks constantly about her children..Every Monday morning I get to look at pictures taken over the weekend of the various escapades.
Daily I get updates on what time they woke/went to bed/napped/coughed/did a wee/a poo and I have the priviliage of getting in depth descriptions of various medical complaints.

I know children are the world to their parents but I have never come across this level of intensity before..Every conversation gets around to the children...
Is it because I dont have any of my own that I find this very annoying or is it just annoying......
Tell this person discreteley that you have had a tragic experience with children and mentioning the kids is upseting you! will shut her up quick enough.

She is very sensitive about the kids so you cannot say anything remotely funny that may cause offence......If she was a good friend I would accept it and go with the flow but to be honest I could take or leave this person

Ian O'Doherty wrote in the past that children are like farts - you can barely tolerate your own ;)

A good friend of mine had a baby and I dont mind her talking about baby things..But then again she takes a break and deliberately talks about old times and adult things....This work collegue never rests..If you only pop out for sandwich at lunch she heads straight for the nearest baby clothes shop......I dont think I can pretend I care anymore

..do you have a pet? if so, take loads of photo's, talk about how it kept you up all night.. tore the house apart, is off its food right now, messed on the carpet.....a photo of the mess on the carpet, photo of you stepping on the mess......

We'll just sit and wait here on AAM for the poster who is totally obsessed with its pets ;)

ZEGAR said:

Just tell her you're not interested and otherwise avoid talking to her if she only discusses a single topic that causes you so much grief. Hardly rocket science...

Of course its rocket Science..I work with her and dont want to upset her and cause tension.
Imagine telling her you are not interested in her children !!!!...She wants me to meet them and I dont know how to get out of that one..

From the replies I take it that her behaviour is not normal..Pheeeww

Zegar, are you the only person she aims this conversation at? Anyone else in there that can distract her attention away from you?? There are several people on my floor in work who I find irritating and I tend to just not reply when they attempt to initiate conversations - also the turned back tends to work, well, in most cases ;)

Anyway, that would drive me mad too - sounds fairly obsessed alright...

She targets anyone eho will listen..If she hears anyone mentioning children her ears prick up and she is off to join the conversation.

Worse again she is one of those people that takes pictures of the kids ,on the new couch ,in the new car,in the landscaped garden.....

ZEGAR said:
Of course its rocket Science..I work with her and dont want to upset her and cause tension.
If she takes offence at you saying (as seems to be the case) that you are not interested then that's her problem. If you are unwilling to be honest with her then it's your problem.

Purple, can I interest you (and/or ZEGAR) in some very rare, autographed first editions..? Bulk discounts will apply, of course! :D

Zegar. When you raise a topic, such as your recent holidays, or your new clothes/household purchase, whatever, does she show any interest or does her eyes glaze over? Does she hurry along your conversation until she can return to her favourite topic? Perhaps you could keep returning to your topic every time she tries to change it to her topic- watch her frustration.

Everytime she starts talking about her children, quickly interrupt, saying: 'Speaking of work, I'm swamped- better get back to it' and quickly return to your desk or start typing furiously on your keyboard. Then log on to AAM instead.

Back