Obscene price for painting on Late Late Show

oldtimer

Maybe it is my old age but I get upset when I hear of the way some wealth is distributed. Last night the Late Late show displayed a painting which was sold for in excess of €800,00. I know nothing about paintings but cannot understand why somebody would fork out so much. Contrast that with my dilemna at the moment. So far, in the run up to Christmas, I have received 20 letters from Charities begging me to save lives, stating any contribution would help save a childs sight, save a life, prevent starvation etc etc. It is heart wrenching to read these letters. I cannot subscribe to them all - I just put them in a box and draw four to whom I will give what I can. Can one imagine how far €800,000 would go? Do the people who fork out so much money for items like paintings get the letters I get? How do they have a concience to pay out so much when there are so many other desperate causes? Have I a point or should I do what the rest of the world does - just turn a blind eye. Or is it just old age is creeping up on me?

I sympathise with how you feel OT. I read recently that 1% of the world's population owns 90% of the wealth, in other words for every $10, 1 person owns 9, and 9 others share $1 between them. Shocking or what?

There is another way to look at it however. Many people get wealthy by building businesses and in the process employ lots of people, involve many others indirectly, create imports and exports, generate taxes etc. In other words, a lot of individuals as well as the economy in general benefit from their efforts, including charitable institutions as it happens. There are many examples of philantropists who have used their money to set up foundations designed to help others. Bill Gates has just done so I believe. Although it's seldom done for altruistic motives, businesses are often re-located in developing countries and regardless of why they are there they create employment and the other spin-off benefits I've already mentioned. The wages may be ridiculously low, bordering on the exploitative, but in time there is a trickledown effect and indigenous businesses at whatever level get started and you are on the way to building a new economy.

Similarly most modern economies are based on consumer spending and any faltering in levels of activity will lead to a slump, creating unemployment etc. It's considered appropriate to reward financially those who have done well, which inspires others to clamber up the slippery ladder to success themselves. All this argues that obscene or not we should continue to aspire to being able to buy the paintings! What do you think?

If you think 800K is expensive, this list will blow your mind.
How does $140,000,000 sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_paintings

The fact is that anyone buying these paintings is not buying them to look at, they are investments, just like stocks, bonds, properties etc.

I'm sure most of the people who spend millions on art also donate quite a bit to charity. The buying and selling of art quite possibly provides them with some of the profits that ultimately end up going to charity.\

To each their own. I suppose.

I wouldn't fret too much over those letters you receive. The idea that you're specific 5 Euro will save some specific child who'll die if you don't donate, is more of a marketing idea than a reality. They're playing to your guilt.

You should donate as much as you feel comfortable donating, don't over stretch just because you're convinced some kid will remain blind for another year if you don't go the extra few guid. You might be better looking into all the charities and picking one you like, then throwing the rest of the begging letters in the bin.

-Rd

-Rd

I have my gun ready in preparation for the first mention of the term "rip-off"!

You might be better looking into all the charities and picking one you like, then throwing the rest of the begging letters in the bin.

-Rd

-Rd

That's what I do but I always rip-off the name and address section of the envelope and enclosures before putting them in the recycling bin.

> I have my gun ready in preparation for the first mention of the term
> rip-off"!

You should try the Samaritans instead.

Back