O'Briens Sandwich Bar in Examinership

Strangely it's said in a recession, sales of fast food booms because people eat in at home instead of going out to pubs/restaurants etc. I know a new chippie opened up a few hundred yards from where I live a few weeks ago and is doing a bomb

I've also noticed a growing tendency amongst myself and friends to meet in someone's house for a takeaway (with everyone chipping in) rather than going to a restaurant.

A bit unrelated but I have to say the quality of Insomnia's sandwiches are pretty high.

Agree. Great quality sandwiches and coffee. Their 3€ (coffee and muffin) and 5€ (coffee and sandwich) deals seem to be the best value out of any chain.

I always go to Insomnia's. Always a good set of magazines and papers around and a nice decor.

O'Briens had the writing on the wall years back. I haven't eaten their more than twice in the past 5 years for the reasons mentioned above.

It is amazing how they didn't get with the times and reprice and re decor to suit the market. A little market research would clearly show them their problems years ago.

I wouldn't know about Insomnia. They have a stupid name, given that their shop at the top of Camden St. shuts at 6.30 in the evening.