obligation on contribution to boundary wall

Tangerine

Hi,
I bought my first house last August, so I'm skint. Its the only mid terraced house in a row of semi detached houses. The houses are four years old and are separated by standard timber fences. My neighbours on one side who are lovely people have decided to replace the boundary fence with a wall and have asked me if I would like to contribute financially. I am very happy with the rickety fence and a wall is the last thing on my list of priorities at the moment. Good neighbourliness is an important value to me so I have responded by telling them that I will think about it and to get back to me with cost. I have asked my friends and they all say that I should contribute to the cost of the wall. Any advice on an appropriate response would be most appreciated.
Many thanks,
Tangerine

First off, they know you have only just moved in. Honesty really is the best policy here. Logically there is no point in putting yourself into further financial debt, just to save face. I know it's easier said that done, but I'm sure they will appreciate the fact that you have been so candid and will look on you more so as a trustworthy person.

Just say, listen as you know I've just bought this house and its my 1st time mortgage and whilst I had budgeted well, the fact remains that interest rates seem to be going up month after month. I've been working really hard at getting the deposit for the house plus the funds for the furniture together and as such have not had a holiday in 2/3 years. Therefore, at the moment that is a priority with me to have a holiday, as I really need it. I wasn't expecting this, because it never even occured to me that there was anything wrong with the fence boundary. I won't be able to contribute to it at this current moment in time, but if you want to give it another year I MIGHT be able to help somewhat towards it.

The walls behind me were left at 4ft by the builders and the people behind me asked me would I mind if they increased the height to 6ft and cap it. I said not at all and they never asked me to contribute. Personally, if this is something they want and not you why should you have to pay for it. That said I know you want to keep things amicable. Therefore I'd say they will accept you saying you can't afford it at the moment because you are just being honest. Hope this helps.

Just tell them your financial situation and you are more than happy to share the cost but would not be in a position to pay untill maye 6 months time.If they want to go ahead now and pay thats fine with you but your not in a position at the moment . simple and honest im sure they will understsand .

I don't think they can replace the fence unless you agree to it.

If the wall was built would you end up with a wall on one side and a fence on the other? I guess it comes down to personal preference if you like a wall vs a fence. You'd have to decide yourself about that. I would just be honest and say its not something you really want to spend money on at the moment and/or you kinda like the fence.

If you are not that bothered, give them permission to build it (as a token of goodwill) under the understanding that you probably won't contribute as you have other commitements. You could give them a token towards it. That said if you turn around and buy a brand new car that isn't going to go down well. I think honesty is the best policy, with some compromise offered.

If they do give you a quote make sure they get 3 quotes, and not pick the first cowboy. Or a mate etc. Make every effort to stay on good terms though.

Surely if it's their boundary they should pay the whole cost.

I would have thought that if you contributed to the cost of the wall then you would be liable in future for the cost of maintaining the wall - or is Irish law different to English in this respect?

Surely if it's their boundary they should pay the whole cost.
....by dint of it being between the OP and neighbours........it's both, n'est-ce pas?

I would have thought that if you contributed to the cost of the wall then you would be liable in future for the cost of maintaining the wall - or is Irish law different to English in this respect?
only half, iwo, your side...........paint, or not to paint ? - hardly the biggest deal in the world, surely ?

Hi,
I bought my first house last August, so I'm skint. Its the only mid terraced house in a row of semi detached houses. The houses are four years old and are separated by standard timber fences. I am very happy with the rickety fence.

First of all if the fence is only 4 years old I wouldn't describe it as rickety. It should be perfectly serviceable for the next 10 - 15. Secondly, what is on the other two sides of your garden. If you have a wall on one side and a fence on both the other sides it will make your garden look unbalanced and you will be putting pressure on yourself to complete the walls around the rest of the garden. Finally, who is living in the houses with the other fences. i would imagine that if they are rented out, quite likely as they are relatively new, they could belong to investors. I would imagine that a landlord would not be interested in building a wall around his garden when there is a perfectly god fence around it already.

If you do decide that you want to contribute to the wall, I wouldn't give the neighbours any timeframe about when you would be in a position to pay. There are other priorities to be taken care of first.

Murt

I presume that you have

I had a similar situation, where I was asked to contribute to a wooden boundry fence (existing fence was wire). I thought the cost was very high and told my neighbour such, (note we were quiet friendly) well that day marked the beginning of the end of our friendship. Never the same afterwards, ended up not even talking to each other. Months later without even advising me the old fence was removed the the new one put in its place. The contractor made some mess in my garden digging the fence holes etc., even used my outside tap when I wasn't there, as the neighbour didn't have one. Didn't like the idea of a contractor in my garden, but I wasn't going to say anything which would make the situation worse. I moved form the estate less that a year later, my wife really couldn't stand the fact we were not on speaking terms with the neighbours (note this was not the reason for moving, althought a distinct advantage). Be careful, people can strange when it comes to money & property.

Cheers Thank You for the posts. The advise has been helpful in coming to a decision with regard to an appropriate response.
  • Keeping on good terms with neighbours is paramount but so also is being honest with regard to what I can afford . Saving for the deposit was hard but fitting the house out in a modest manner has been a killer; money evaporates. In this light I shall offer to pay a small contribution and in a few months time if possible.
  • When I have the house furnished I shall be in a position to avail of the rent a room scheme which will improve cash flows and can then make a contribution. Might even be able to afford a new wooden fence to hide the new concrete wall!!!
Oh the joys of owning a house!!!
Many thanks,
Tangerine

Hi galwaytt,

Clearly Irish and English law is very different.
Over here, ownership of boundary fences/walls is clearly marked on deeds and Land Registry documents.

BillK

• Keeping on good terms with neighbours is paramount
I survive quite well not being on speaking terms with mine....their choice

I wouldn't have stood for that.....even after myself & the neighbour were on frosty terms, they had contractors trespass on my property to do work on theirs and I made them come back and clean up .....

Its not the end of teh world if you don't speak to your neighbours....just build a bigger wall