Oath of allegiance.

Purple

Should all Irish citizens, and all those seeking Irish citizenship, have to take an oath of loyalty to the Irish state and its constitution explicitly stating that they swear to accept the primacy of Irish laws over those of any foreign land or any religion and acknowledging their responsibilities as a citizen?

No way, especially when it is put in the way you have put it. Responsibilities as a citizen??? Come on, this is 21st Ireland you are talking about - not some 19th century, recently liberated workers paradise.

If anything, you have a responsibility to yourself and your family to protect yourself from this state, with all its corruption and self-serving cronyism.

You have to do so before a District Court judge. You have to swear an oath of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the state. Not sure what the wording is though. Partner of a colleague of mine did it a couple of months back.

Yes, but I am guessing it would be meaningless. Perhaps I am just too cynical! I just can't see anyone taking it seriously.

Yes, but I am guessing it would be meaningless. Perhaps I am just too cynical! I just can't see anyone taking it seriously.

For the couple of "foreigners" I know who did this, they took it very seriously indeed. For them, it was a means of publically stating that their commitment to their new Irish families was so important to them, that they were prepared to turn away from their old country. Likewise to them it was a means of saying to the rest of Ireland, that they were equal to us, Irish citizens, with the same rights as the rest of us.

I would not take such an oath. I reserve the right to change my mind and rebel. Have you seen some of the idiots making these Irish laws?