Oasis Hong Kong

zag

Anyone heard anything good or bad regarding the low cost airline Oasis Hong Kong ? I'm heading out that direction later in the year and while I wasn't planning on going out via HK I might make a detour if their fares are anything to go by. With long dates I can get 2 adults and 2 children one way for £262 - in total, not each. This would cut about 70% or so off the next best price I have so far for the region, so I could be tempted to fly there and connect to my final destination despite wanting to keep the connections down. At that price it's hard to turn down.

I'll look around the rest of the web for reviews, but I thought I would check with the best bit (AAM) first.

z

p.s. - even better - does anyone know of an equivalent low cost airline flying to Shanghai ?

I believe that HK is their only route at present. it started a few months ago, and they have carried over 30,000 people so far,and they plan to operate other routes from Asia to Oakland in California, and on to Chicago (you must still wonder about new airlines like this though, but reports from others about the flights seem good). Their is a new low fare airline opening in a few months called Air Asia X ( google it) that claim to have fares to asia for $80-450 return from London. Air Asia X are linked to Asia's largest lowfares airline Airasia.com . Within Asia tigerairways (they have a route to Darwin from Thailand AFAIR), and jetstar are local low fare airlines.

Best of luck

I got an email below from Aeroflot today, they have an offer on from London to Shanghai via Moscow from £200 return before taxes. The formatting came out incorrectly

[broken link removed]
Web-Sale for transit flights via Moscow

Dear Member,
Aeroflot offers special fares for transit flights from European destinations via Moscow.
Special fares are available at booking and purchase through Aeroflot websiteonly.
Origin
Destination
Fares*

One Way
Round Trip
Paris, NiceTokyo, Seoul, Bangkok, Hanoi 199EUR398EURParis, NiceDelhi, Hong Kong, Pekin, Shanghai 149EUR298EURParis, NiceMumbai129EUR258EURParis, NiceDubai, Tehran, Cairo, Damascus, Beirut119EUR238EURLondonTokyo, Seoul, Bangkok129GBP258GBPLondonDelhi, Mumbai84GBP168GBPLondonHong Kong, Pekin, Shanghai99GBP198GBPLondonHanoi199GBP398GBPLondonDubai, Tehran, Cairo, Damascus, Beirut59GBP118GBP

Attention! These fares do not include airport dues and fees.
  • rvl must b commenced 12 February 07- 30 June 07
  • rvl must b completed 30 June 07
  • Blackout period (outbound) 08 March 07 -11 March 07, 05 M 07 -14 M 07
  • Sale period 05 February 07 - 28 February 07
  • Ticketing must b completed at Aeroflot offices within 48 hours after reservation. Combinations are not permitted
  • Refund/upgrade is not permitted
  • 100 EUR penalty per segment will apply in case of any changes
  • Fares are available for Aeroflot operated flights only.
  • children/infant discounts do not apply.

I think they're okay - get generally favourable reviews on AirlineQuality.com ... They had a few teething troubles at the start, including embarassingly forgetting to get overflight clearance for their inaugural flight from Russia, and thus having to delay it a day.

They've as far as I know got backers with deep pockets (their chairman is some rather rich evangenical minister I believe - so they're holy too :) ) - so while I'm sure they're losing money at the moment - they can probably afford to go on doing so for a while.

Personally I'd be tempted by their business class which is substantially cheaper than the competition and looks fairly alright (I believe they are old style Singapore Airlines biz class seats) ... their economy is a bit cheaper yes - but all in all I'd probably go with another carrier for the greater choice of flight times / more backup in case of problems (As pointed out you can get good deals on LON-HKG now from other carriers - not just Aeroflot - they've brought quite a bit of price competition onto the route)

As going to Shanghai - I don't believe there's any equivalent low cost long haul airline going Europe to Shanghai (or for that matter from anywhere else in Asia to Europe).

As an aside the savings you make on the LON-HK portion might be eroded by the flight from HK-Shanghai ... flights from HK to mainland China always seem surprisingly expensive - you're generally better off hopping over the border to Shenzhen or Guangzhou and getting a domestic flight from there (but it on the spot not in Ireland in advance where you can only get full fare tickets on Chinese domestic flights)

I was in touch with Oasis to see what their prices would be in November because their website only goes as far as October this year. The person on the phone said the schedules haven't been released yet. This didn't fill me with confidence in terms of their forward planning and survival, but it may be that they are still working out whether to add in extra routes, etc . . . and so haven't finalised their schedue yet.

z

Back