Oak Skirting, doors etc. to be treated/painted. Help.

K

kenan

Hi there,

I'm located in Leitrim and have just purchased engineered oak doors, solid oak skirting, architraves and door stops. Now they all need to be painted/finished off. What is the recommended practice. Sealer and/or varnish or lacquer? Is lacquer the same as varnish? Should I go with satin or matt? How many coats? Any recommended products? My flooring is solid oak also and was bought finished so I guess matt would look best on doors etc. to match in.

Many thanks in advance,
Kenan.

P.S. Made good saving thanks to AAM on all the above up north. Thank you.

hi, i am doing the same as you, i am here in clare, not bought doors etc yet, where did u get yours in north and did they deliver?

I have been told that when I get the doors unfinished I will have to take them to a joiners or such to get them treated. Only problem is the only guy I knew has retired. My next step is to ring a local painting company and see if they can do it or recommend someone.

noah

3 light coats of ronseal satincoat varnish (clear) applied with a roller (for varnish) and cut into the panels with a 2"brush. Light sanding in between coats. Will come out as if they were sprayed if your anyways careful.

Noah,

Company was F.R Cathcart in Enniskillen. No delivery charge to Leitrim not sure about Clare. Phone: 048 6632551.

Avns1s,

Thanks for the advise... will try the roller and brush combination.

Regards,
Kenan