Oak Mantle

sullyman

Looking for an oak mantle in Cork. Anyone know where i can get some oak beams and cut to suit?

Hi,
We just got an oak beam from Dundrum Sawmills thru their sales guy TJ O'Sullivan who can be got on 086-815 1465. They do deliver and there is a delivery charge. We are happy with what we got. Ask if you have problems getting thru to him. I don't have any conenction to the company. Optimistic

Hi Optimistic,

Thanks for that. Did you have to sand/varnish same etc. What varnish would be the best for the job

S

Yes we had to sand and varnish. I had a heavy duty sander hired out for other work and used that. We got the face that you see when sitting down sand blasted to bring out the grain. The guy who did this did not like it but we love it. I can try sending a photo by email if you want, but that may not do it justice. I varnished it with varnish I had left over from a conservatory ceiling, Craftsman Granglaz Satin got from the same company, but I think any varnish would do. Do you need many beams and what lengths approx? All the best. If you need anymore info, ask again :)

:) Up Cork

I'm looking at a 2.1m length and two .8m lengths for the side of the fireplace as the brick wraps around the fireplace etc.

I don't think i'd be DIY enough to sand it myself as i'd probably make a bags of it. Got a quote today of about €400 unsanded/unvarnished for White Oak from O'Riordans Joinery, Bandon Road. Is this a good price?

Could you send a pic if possible. Called Coillte and they quote me €170 planed. Thanks. I'll send my email via PM.

Thanks,
S

try o'callaghans fireplaces between Ballinhassig & Halfway. They make their stuff so should be able to do something for you.

Back