Oak Flooring

S

Stephenkelly

I have solid oak floors in my apartment. I have some quite bad scratches on them. What is the best way to repair them?

Try and learn to appreciate them. We also have solid oak floors and you just have to LET GO and accept that they will scratch and that wood is natural and that it's okay!

Sorry Taxbill but a couple of areas are too badly damaged for my liking

Then try getting a spare plank (buy one if you need to), scratch it up just as bad and experiment with it.

Sand it back with a medium grade paper and finish it off with fine paper and see what sort of varnish or oil gives you the closest match to your existing floor.

That's what I would (and probably at some furure stage will) do.

People over here pay £50 (STG) per sq. metre for "distressed" oak planks.

I have solid oak floors in my apartment. I have some quite bad scratches on them. What is the best way to repair them?

You could hire a belt sander from a hire shop but you have to do the whole floor as it takes about 2 mm off the top. then you have to revarnish the floor aswell. If done well it can make a huge difference and is not as
tough a job as you might think, just get some good advice on how to do it right.

Make SURE they are solid wood and not semi-solid or you could sand through to the plywood.