O2 to Vodafone/Meteor/3

nicky77

Hi
Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to change from billpay on 02 to ready to go in Vodafone/Meteor/3 when you are still in contract with 02?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Anything is possible. You'll have to pay whatever outstanding charges are due with O2 on your current contract before moving. You won't be allowed just leave in the middle of a contract.

Depending on the contract you signed, you may still have to pay the remaining monthly fees for the rest of your contract. Once you're paid up, you can port across to any company you want, to any kind of tariff (pre or bill pay) that you want.

Call O2 and check what their policy is but bear in mind that O2 has taken an average of more than two people to court every day since 2002 for unpaid phone bills, some of' which were as low as €250. (ref Irish Times)
They probably have a clause tying you in for at least 12 months, so if you're within this timescale, they would be entitled to charge you for terminating the contract!

In a review of debt judgments published in Stubbs Gazette, The Irish Times has established that more than 2,390 people and businesses have been pursued through the courts by O2 since mid-2002. Its competitor, Vodafone, took legal action against just over 200 people and businesses in the same period.

I am in the process of moving from bill pay O2 to vodafone - 2 months into my 12 month contract but they are letting me out as the reception where I live makes calls useless. Only problem is that I was happy with the plan they offered (for off peak calls only) which vodafone, meteor and 3 do not offer.
Also I have an I-Mode phone which will be useless on Vodafone for anything other than voice calls.

As another option, you could always ask whomever you're moving to to pay the remaining months left on your contract.

I know that O2 will do that for you if you're moving to them from Vodafone in particular. Obviously, not something the advertise all that much.

Many thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to see what the bill amount is this month and consider my options

Back