Nz For 21 Days - Best Places To Visit

Grapes

Any recommendations would be great. Honeymooners in Oct/November 2007. Have the lonely planet but there is so much.
Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Grapes. There was a very good discussion on this back in Jan '07. Post was started by Jmayo.
Afraid I'm not able to do the link. Perhaps someone else can help.

hi,
avoid the magic bus, it's generally for gap year people and not for honeymooners or people who like travelling and experiencing a country.
if you don't want to drive, the new zealand national bus service is a very good way to travel. another option is a camper van but this isn't everyones idea of honeymoon travel!

I would recommend;
the franz joseph / fox glacier half day hike or full day with helicopter ride ( helicopter rides are weaher dependant but you don't loose out if you only get to do the half day hike)
Queenstown if your into adventure sports, bungee jumping, snowboarding etc
a hot air balloon ride over christchurch in the morning time, finished with a champagne toast, a word of warning our hotair balloon landed on it's side, one in ten do, but was very greatfull for the champange to wash the dust down!
Tongarario Crossing - if you want to see the real set of lord of the rings with Mt. Doom in the background, it's a 17km day hike amazing views
there's a good book on lord of the rings location guide book, if your into that.

whale watching in Kaikoura, definately recommended, we went with whalewatch, they have a website, they were very good.

Waitimo Caves - caves full of glow worms!

Abel Tasman Track, easy option on this is one day kayak around fiords, amazing secenery

Auckland - Parnell area has a famous little chocolate boutique

Wellington, gourmet captial

Napier, Hawkes Bay - wine valleys / tours

if your into trekking, the milford track is an amazing 35 mile walk generally done over 5 days, it is possible to do a luxury trip on this, to make it more honeymoon style.

milford sound cruise

otago pennisula - yellow eyed penguins etc.

it's really easy to book these things over the internet before you go.

definitely nz has loads to offer and you'll enjoy it no matter what you pick!
lonely plant is great for practical info and the rough guide is very good for recommending really nice restaurants.

if your going in november, it is a busy time so it's definately worth booking things ahead.

enjoy your trip!

Was there for 3 weeks in May. Loved it. If I could do it again I would do/not do the following

Northland - Avoid

Auckland - Avoid

Rotorua - Wai-o-tapu thermal park is worth seeing but do not go near the others.

White Island Volcanoe - Brilliant day trip from Whakatane to visit an active volcanoe

Napier - Do some wine tours

Blenheim - more wine

Frans Josef - Do the Ski plane trip. The pilot lands on one of the Glaciers and turns the engine off - total silence ..........very eerie.

Milford Sound - worth the effort

Wanaka - Upmarket version of Queenstown

Queenstown - tacky but if you want to throw yourself off a bridge or other acts of lunacy its the place to be

Christchurch - Quaint in a very english sort of way. Do some hot air balooning over the Canterbury plains

Few General Things
- Best coffee in the world
- good food
- Bring your credit card - its the closest place to a cashless society that i've ever seen

S.B>

HI
I visited NZ for 10 weeks in Jan04.
Had a great time.
Book to Buy: The Lonely Planet (A very worthwhile investment)

I would recommend the following as suggestions -

Firstly look at the company www.HikingNewZealand.com (Active Earth) for
excellent 10 day hiking adventures. I experienced the Volcanoes and Rainforests and the West Coast Wilderness. For me they were a great 20 days total hiking, kayaking, sleeping under the stars, hiking across rivers etc.. Wet sometimes but just bring good lightweight rain gear - warm wool socks and clothing and thermal wear. Ok if both of you would like to experience the ourdoors in NZ as part of your honeymoon and to get off the beaten track then this Hiking Company is your best resource.

Cities: Auckland is nice for the surround sea and yachts etc. Also goto to Kelly Tartons Underwater centre. Exciting to look at the sharks.

Wellington is also a must. (Lonely Plant reading).

Queenstown is also a must. (Lonely Planet reading).

Other memories that I have are -

Omarau - The Blue Penguin colony (Lonely Planet)

Dunedin - The Albratross colony (Google, Lonely Planet)

Christchurch - The Antartic Visitor Centre, WillowBank Wildlife Reserve.
The Willowbank is the best place to visit the Kiwi's. There is no glass panel between the visitor and the Kiwi just chicken wire fencing. Defintely go here.

Kikoura (pardon the spelling)- For the Whale Watching. Difintely go here. Beautiful place - lovely mountains overlooking the bay - about 10,000 breeding dolphins in the bay alone. go on one of the swimming trips with these dolphins as well as booking one of the whale watching trips. You can both also take a helicopter trip to view these giant sperm whales from the air!

Franz Josephy Glacier
Fox Glacier
The Glow Worm Cave as mentioned in a prevous posting.

The Bungy Jumps in Queenstown - each of you do one of these jumps and get a video - its great to bring back home and show your friends.

The Milford Sound if you have time. What an amazing spot - very beautiful. And a beautiful car drive from Queenstown through Glenorchy and onto Milford. Bring plenty of film for your camera or space for your digital photographs.

The North Island is very different from the South Island. The Tongariro National Park is a volcanic national park - the first national park in NZ which is also Maori property as I understand. South of Hamilton is very volcanic in features with round type hills and lovely countryside. The beaches are black similar to Lanzarote.

The South Island is Alpine - and its like being in a different countryside.
I thought the Wild West Coast was just class. The drive down into Queenstown, through the Crown Range road and the view looking down from the top of the Crown Range road onto Queenstown valley is breathtaking. Mount Aspiring National Park which you will pass through is also really cool.

Hope this helps. 21 days will go really quickly - maybe 8 days North Island, get the ferry across from Wellington to the South Island to Nelson, goto down along the Wild West coast, visit Queenstown, then goto Dunedin, then travel up along that side of the coast then back to the North Island maybe. If you fly directly into Christchurch you will miss out of the North Island so I think maybe you can fly directly into Auckland then start travelling down towards the South Island to Wellington.

Even though I spent 10 weeks I still did not have enough time to do all.
You will have to compromise on what you do see - but hey for sure you will leave NZ with thoughts of going back.

We went to NZ on our honeymoon in at the start of November 05. It was fantastic. Its a great time to go, just at the start of their summer so not too busy, but still everything open. We only booked accommodation for the first two nights and did everything else on spec. and were never left without a reasonably priced bed.

If you are flying into Auckland, you might want to spend a night or two there to get over the jetlag. We stayed in the Hermitage Hotel, which is central. I emailed them to confirm our on-line booking and told them we were on our honeymoon. When we arrived, they upgraded us to a suite :) They have a swimming pool and jacuzzi on the roof which was heaven for a sunny morning swim after leaving Ireland in November. Would recommend it for a treat to start off the honeymoon.

At the airport, they have these shared taxi / minibuses which are cheaper than an individual taxi. They have a little trailer for all the luggage. If you are not in a rush, they are perfect, will drop you outside your hotel.

We just spent two nights in Auckland, one whole day. We went sailing in the morning with Kiwi Sail, an independent family run boat (would highly recommend), and then did a wine tour on Waikiki (spelling?) Island in the afternoon. (got a ferry over, also highly recommended). The tourist office in Auckland is brilliant, they will book everything for you. We hired a car which we dropped off in Christchurch (also organised by the tourist office) and got a cheap internal flight back to Auckland for the return flight. It worked out well for us, I would recommend it.

Driving is fairly easy in New Zealand because they drive on the left, just like home. I would recommend it. I would say not to book the car hire until you get there- there are often good deals with local companies that might want to get a car from North Island to South Island and will give you a reduction if thats what you're doing.

If you are starting off in Auckland, I would recommend heading for hot water beach and Cathedral Cove (very romantic). Taupo is a good place to do a skydive (if you are into that) and much cheaper than in Queensland.

We were very unimpressed with Rotarua. Abel Tasman is absolutely beautiful and Fox Glacier is recommended. We missed out on the Whale Watching at Kaikoura which we were sorry about.

We tended to stay in motels over there, like a cheap hotel but with a small kitchen, so you can do your own breakfast. Not at all tacky even though it might sound it if you haven't seem them before. I don't think there is an equivalent in Ireland really.

The South Island weather is quite different to the North Island, bring some warm clothes and a rain jacket.

If you want more details, pm me and I'll help you any way I can.

C.

Back